From: braden on

I have a simple report that I want to run in a master project for all
sub projects, but can't figure out how.

I have a master project that currently has 7 sub-projects (and will have
more in the future). All subproject tasks are exactly identical. I would
like to have have a report with the subproject tasks down the left side
(y-axis) and each sub-project title along the top (x-axis). Where task
and sub-project title meet would simply be the percent complete the task
is.

Is this possible to run and how so?

Thanks for all the help.

--
braden
braden's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/216303.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Save As > Excel Pivot Table.

When the export wizard kicks off, create a new map using the following fields
from the Task Table:

1) ID
2) Name
3) Project
4) % Complete

Manipulate the results in the Pivot Table. You may have to turn off the
Grand Totals, the Subtotals, and filter out the master project.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: braden on

amazing. THank you.

Second question - is there any way to have the pivot table autoupdate
(i.e. when I make a change to the project file in terms of % complete,
how can I make the pivot table also update)?

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
This is one of those things where it would be easier using Project Server
and Excel - as then you could tie it back to a SQL database.

That being said, here're a couple of options:

1) VBA dump from MPP to XLS
2) Do a Copy/Paste Special Link to XLS. That makes the XLS sheet a bit unstable,
and will break if you ever change the name of the MPP file, but if you're
cool with periodically rebuilding your XLS sheet, that may work. If that
were the case, I wouldn't use a Pivot Table, but just create a table manually,
then do the copy/paste by hand.
3) Some sort of save to Access option, then surfacing the data through Access
- or via Access into Excel. Here's how to get the data into Access: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm/archive/2010/02/02/tips-and-tricks-saving-an-mpp-file-to-access.aspx

From: braden on

I know I'm getting a little off topic (and thanks for your help).
Everytime I do a paste special, link from MP to an XLS sheet, all values
come up as errors. I am doing solely between files on my own computer
(because aorn I can't open MP directly from the cloud, I have to dl it
and open it locally. Is there away to fix these errors, or did you say
'MPP' because I need Project Professional to use this feature?