From: bokubob on
It was CSim, you can get it here:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3299

-Jonathan

From: Steen Schmidt on
nausea1995(a)gmail.com wrote:

> > Well, start by asking yourself: why don't YOU do it? You do see
> > the need, don't you?
>
> I don't have time with work and school, and usually don' t know very
> far in advance what sort of programs would help with upcoming
> material.

Do you think everybody else has more time than you? You have seen the
need for such a program, then you might help others after you by
programming it. You might not get too much use out of it yourself
(unless you are a clever programmer who can code a program flexible
enough to be useful later too), but if everybody chipped in like that
(as was the norm several years ago), such a program might exist today
for you to download and use right away.

> Are you suggesting I carry around two graphing calculators?

Why carry them around? But sure, I often logged two calcs around when I
was studying. That was probably my most productive time in regard to
calculator programs btw. Now with kids, work and a life to live,
calculator programming sometimes takes a back seat - and if it's ok
with you, I'll use the little time I have for these matters to program
stuff *I* find useful and interesting. A DC circuit simulator doesn't
really cut it for me (unless it was a macro-challenge about who could
do the best performing port of an existing application, then I might be
interested ;-)...

> Do you have any other empty advice I can't use?

Here's one: Start by making a contribution yourself to the HP community
and you might start a snowball rolling. It's worth a try. And then, if
you need any help or suggestions about programming (or religion, or
chocolate chip cookies or whatever) we're still a couple of guys here
who might be able to put down a few words. But you'd have to do the
brunt of the work yourself.

Cheers,
Steen
From: nausea1995 on
Steen Schmidt wrote:
> Do you think everybody else has more time than you? You have seen the
> need for such a program, then you might help others after you by
> programming it. You might not get too much use out of it yourself
> (unless you are a clever programmer who can code a program flexible
> enough to be useful later too), but if everybody chipped in like that
> (as was the norm several years ago), such a program might exist today
> for you to download and use right away.

I'm not saying any particular person has more available time than
myself, but in general, without going into the specifics of my
schedule, I have virtually none to spare. It would be great if I did,
and had the motivation to do so, but I don't have either.

All my point was, is that it's annoying and frustrating to prefer an HP
calculator when it's competitor has such a large community in
education.

> Here's one: Start by making a contribution yourself to the HP community
> and you might start a snowball rolling. It's worth a try. And then, if
> you need any help or suggestions about programming (or religion, or
> chocolate chip cookies or whatever) we're still a couple of guys here
> who might be able to put down a few words. But you'd have to do the
> brunt of the work yourself.

You have a good point here, and it's well taken.

From: nausea1995 on
In fact your point is so well taken, I think I'll give it a shot
porting a program written for 48 to 49. I have a question regarding
that though, how would I determine if a program was written in
user-rpl, sys-rpl or what? And from the little I've read I'd use JAZZ
for sys-rpl programs, do you know of a primer of sorts that would have
info on porting other types of programs (as opposed to searching around
for bits of info in posts in this group).

From: Steen Schmidt on
nausea1995(a)gmail.com wrote:

> In fact your point is so well taken, I think I'll give it a shot
> porting a program written for 48 to 49.

Great. Have you tried out CSim btw? It exist in a beta port for the
HP49G, and might run on the 49G+/50G too:

http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3299

> I have a question regarding
> that though, how would I determine if a program was written in
> user-rpl, sys-rpl or what?

You'd be able to see that from the source files if they are available.
If they are not, you'd have to split the library (if it's a library) on
the calc, decompile each command and take a loook at the code (see if
it's comprised of UserRPL, SysRPL or ML commands/data structures).
Usually it's SysRPL mixed with small parts of ML. UserRPL is rarely
encountered in libs, but it happens.

> And from the little I've read I'd use JAZZ

I'd either use Debug4x on a PC or the built-in MASD on the calc. I
haven't used Jazz on the 49 series, so I don't kow how that stacks up
against the other two. Of course, if Jazz sources exist for an 48
program, you might be able to port it simply by recompiling it on the
49, but I wouldn't put any money on it being that simple. If it were
that simple, chances are the program would run fine on the 49 without
recompiling.

> for sys-rpl programs, do you know of a primer of sorts that would have
> info on porting other types of programs (as opposed to searching
> around for bits of info in posts in this group).

Not for porting programs per se, but a great SysRPL resource is
Eduardos book available for download here:

http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=5142

UserRPL resources are available in the calc manuals (or the AUG), ML
resourecs are a bit more scarce. And then you just need some general
programming skills and you're up and running.

If you run into something specific, like "this was done like that in
this HP48 program, what would be a smart way to do it on the 49?", then
you'd probably be able to get some suggestions here.

Regards
Steen
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4