From: Daniel on

"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> "Daniel" <noone(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I just received an email from someone that said
>> it was from DHL but it contained a Trojan, why
>> did Windows Security Essentials not pick it up?
>
> You should understand the fact that *all* antimalware programs will miss
> some specimens - especially if it is a new variant,

Yes, I do understand, perhaps I did not word my OP
well.

> What was it, a phishing attempt?

I do not know

>> I found out it was a Trojan because I was suspicious
>> and forwarded it to a PC where I run a different AV program.
>
> What AV program, and what did it identify the malware as?

AV Free and it is identified as Trojan Fakealert.

cheers

Daniel

From: Leythos on
In article <OJlopbM5KHA.3576(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, noone(a)nowhere.com
says...

> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> > In article <#jAuDuK5KHA.1888(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, noone(a)nowhere.com
> > I posted a reply because after all these decades I've learned, across
> > thousands of computers and networks, to not trust Microsoft with
> > Security for any reason.
>
> I see a lot of anti Microsoft rhetoric that is baseless, people just
> do not like success, there are NO secure OS so what do we do,
> not run computers??

Dan, I'm not Anti-MS, in fact, quite the opposite - I make a LOT of
money installing MS solutions and supporting MS based facilities, and
all of them are secure and running without malware. What I've learned is
that nothing MS produces protects users as well as combinations of
third-party solutions.

You would never catch me depending on MSE on any computer.

> > You're confusing what COULD be with what IS - Microsoft chooses to NOT
> > secure the O/S because it would cost them market share as apps no longer
> > work, as vendors would have to recode their apps, and because the
> > foundation of their systems need to be less secure to allow the apps to
> > communicate between each other as they have (not as they could).
> >
> > You already know the answer to your question, before you even posted it,
> > because no vendor provides 100% protection against all malware, because
> > new variants will always be created, because you're not willing to
> > secure your OS at the level needed and work with the adjustments you
> > would have to make.
>
> I have never been infected so Microsoft must be doing okay, for crying
> out loud, you don't even trust you best friend, well guess what, I do trust
> my best friend and Microsoft.

How do you know if you're not testing your machine on a regular basis?

You already posted the MS missed one malware sent by email, how do you
know that your browser doesn't get exploited without you knowing?

Trust yourself.
From: Daniel on
Okay, I see where you are coming from, I do use other Malware
programs, Spybot, Adaware and Malwarebytes, weekly and I run HJT periodicly.

cheers

Daniel

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on

> "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> "Daniel" <noone(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I just received an email from someone that said
>>> it was from DHL but it contained a Trojan, why
>>> did Windows Security Essentials not pick it up?
>>
>> You should understand the fact that *all* antimalware programs will
>> miss some specimens - especially if it is a new variant,
>
> Yes, I do understand, perhaps I did not word my OP
> well.
>
>> What was it, a phishing attempt?
>
> I do not know
>
>>> I found out it was a Trojan because I was suspicious
>>> and forwarded it to a PC where I run a different AV program.
>>
>> What AV program, and what did it identify the malware as?
>
> AV Free and it is identified as Trojan Fakealert.

Yet another rogue security (fake AV) scareware trojan. You are right to
question MSE's missing of this trojan, but I'm willing to bet it could
be asked of any other "AV Free" antimalware when they miss something
that MSE doesn't. The most important fact that you mention is that *you*
suspected it - it should have gone no further. If you constantly expose
the anti-whatever to new threats, it is sure to miss some.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying MSE doesn't suck. The system MSE uses
needs to have a history if it can hope to rise above the noise.

From: Leythos on
In article <u4sZlBN5KHA.1424(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, noone(a)nowhere.com
says...
> Okay, I see where you are coming from, I do use other Malware
> programs, Spybot, Adaware and Malwarebytes, weekly and I run HJT periodicly.

Having used about every reputable product on the market, after seeing
something get through my corporate AV solution, one I use on my own
network (or use too), I've switched to Avira and found that it's
catching things that had never even alerted before.

For the time being, I'm sticking with Avira and installing it for
customers.

Trust yourself.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Has David Kaye the expertise to check?
Next: New Net Patch