From: ~BD~ on
I've read the item here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_cache_poisoning

where it states "A user whose computer has referenced the poisoned DNS
server would be tricked into accepting content coming from a
non-authentic server and unknowingly download malicious content."

I had thought that DNS poisoning related to my NAT router, not an ISP as
mentioned! Perhaps I have again misunderstood something!

Can a private server, like Eternal-September or Dogagent.com, be
considered to be DNS servers when connecting to them to read newsgroups?

I had thought that DNS poisoning related to my NAT router, not an ISP as
mentioned!

Some guidance on exactly *how* an end user can be /captured/ and
directed to 'spoof' websites in this manner will be welcomed. Might it
be achieved by simply visiting a specific URL for instance?

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave.(a)hotmail.co.uk>

| I've read the item here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_cache_poisoning

| where it states "A user whose computer has referenced the poisoned DNS
| server would be tricked into accepting content coming from a
| non-authentic server and unknowingly download malicious content."

| I had thought that DNS poisoning related to my NAT router, not an ISP as
| mentioned! Perhaps I have again misunderstood something!

| Can a private server, like Eternal-September or Dogagent.com, be
| considered to be DNS servers when connecting to them to read newsgroups?

| I had thought that DNS poisoning related to my NAT router, not an ISP as
| mentioned!

| Some guidance on exactly *how* an end user can be /captured/ and
| directed to 'spoof' websites in this manner will be welcomed. Might it
| be achieved by simply visiting a specific URL for instance?

NO !
NNTP servers do NOT act as a DNS servers.

Please READ the URL you posted...
"To perform a cache poisoning attack, the attacker exploits a flaw in the DNS software."

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"~BD~" <BoaterDave.(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've read the item here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_cache_poisoning

[...]

> I had thought that DNS poisoning related to my NAT router, not an ISP as
> mentioned! Perhaps I have again misunderstood something!

DNS as it applies to routers, maybe you are thinking of DNS primary and
secondary server settings?

Maybe this will interest you:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=774

From: ~BD~ on

"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> "~BD~" <BoaterDave.(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I've read the item here
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_cache_poisoning
>
> [...]
>
>> I had thought that DNS poisoning related to my NAT router, not an ISP
>> as mentioned! Perhaps I have again misunderstood something!
>
> DNS as it applies to routers, maybe you are thinking of DNS primary
> and secondary server settings?
>
> Maybe this will interest you:
>
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=774

Thank you, FTR ;-)

I still have much to learn!

--
Dave

From: ~BD~ on

> From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave.(a)hotmail.co.uk>
>
> | I've read the item here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_cache_poisoning
>
> | where it states "A user whose computer has referenced the poisoned
> DNS
> | server would be tricked into accepting content coming from a
> | non-authentic server and unknowingly download malicious content."
>
> | I had thought that DNS poisoning related to my NAT router, not an
> ISP as
> | mentioned! Perhaps I have again misunderstood something!
>
> | Can a private server, like Eternal-September or Dogagent.com, be
> | considered to be DNS servers when connecting to them to read
> newsgroups?
>
> | I had thought that DNS poisoning related to my NAT router, not an
> ISP as
> | mentioned!
>
> | Some guidance on exactly *how* an end user can be /captured/ and
> | directed to 'spoof' websites in this manner will be welcomed. Might
> it
> | be achieved by simply visiting a specific URL for instance?
>
> NO !
> NNTP servers do NOT act as a DNS servers.
>
> Please READ the URL you posted...
> "To perform a cache poisoning attack, the attacker exploits a flaw in
> the DNS software."

I'll try to study things in more depth, perhaps when I'm at home again!

David, whilst I'm here, can you reach a website called www.uniblue.com

If you can, using your industry knowledge would you please provide a
view on the authenticity of same? TIA.

--
Dave BD