From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:23:47 +0100, Justin C
<justin.1007(a)purestblue.com> wrote:

>In article <1jm149p.10nawgz1vb369iN%jim(a)magrathea.plus.com>, Jim wrote:
>> Justin C <justin.1007(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was unable to resist the temptation any longer. I have purchased
>>> Lemmings ... for DOS. Well, it was under a fiver, and came with More
>>> Lemmings too. The problem is that it's on floppy disk. I've access to
>>> floppy drives all over the place, I have machines with FD drives running
>>> DOS, Linux, and Win98.
>>>
>>> I'm intending to run DOSBox so that I can play this game. My question
>>> is, what's the best way of dealing with these disks (one per game) so
>>> that I can "get them into" DOSBox?
>>
>> I think I'd be inclined to use the Linux box and 'dd' to convert the
>> physical floppies into image files.
>>
>> Something like
>>
>> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.image bs=512
>>
>> then use the network or a USB thumb drive to copy the image over to your
>> Mac.
>
>I was worried that it'd come to that. It's been a long time since I used
>dd, looks like it's back to the man page... dd was never easy to use.

Jim's line there is all you need. if= is input file which reads from
the floppy device, might need to be changed from /dev/fd0, of= is the
file you want to write the image to, and bs=512 is the block size that
you need to read at from the floppy. That's it!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Power corrupts, but we need the electricity."
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:23:47 +0100, Justin C
<justin.1007(a)purestblue.com> wrote:

>Thanks for mentioning it. As no-one else has I'll assume that it's my
>only option and go with it.

Oh, alternatively, since you now have the floppies and therefore the
license for the games, you can always just download them from the
various old game rippy sites if you count that as morally/ethically
reasonable. And use an adblocker so as not to raise money for the
rippy sites.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Okay, it works now. Or at least it malfunctions in all the expected ways.
-- Mark Edwards, asr