From: Justin C on

I was unable to resist the temptation any longer. I have purchased
Lemmings ... for DOS. Well, it was under a fiver, and came with More
Lemmings too. The problem is that it's on floppy disk. I've access to
floppy drives all over the place, I have machines with FD drives running
DOS, Linux, and Win98.

I'm intending to run DOSBox so that I can play this game. My question
is, what's the best way of dealing with these disks (one per game) so
that I can "get them into" DOSBox?

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Jim on
Justin C <justin.1007(a)purestblue.com> wrote:

> I was unable to resist the temptation any longer. I have purchased
> Lemmings ... for DOS. Well, it was under a fiver, and came with More
> Lemmings too. The problem is that it's on floppy disk. I've access to
> floppy drives all over the place, I have machines with FD drives running
> DOS, Linux, and Win98.
>
> I'm intending to run DOSBox so that I can play this game. My question
> is, what's the best way of dealing with these disks (one per game) so
> that I can "get them into" DOSBox?

I think I'd be inclined to use the Linux box and 'dd' to convert the
physical floppies into image files.

Something like

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.image bs=512

then use the network or a USB thumb drive to copy the image over to your
Mac.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Jon on
On 22/07/2010 10:41am, Justin C wrote:

> I was unable to resist the temptation any longer. I have purchased
> Lemmings ... for DOS. Well, it was under a fiver, and came with More
> Lemmings too. The problem is that it's on floppy disk. I've access to
> floppy drives all over the place, I have machines with FD drives running
> DOS, Linux, and Win98.
>
> I'm intending to run DOSBox so that I can play this game. My question
> is, what's the best way of dealing with these disks (one per game) so
> that I can "get them into" DOSBox?
>
> Justin.

You've been done mate, you can get Lemmings (and many other great old
DOS games) for FREE!

Just un-zip 'em and run 'em in DOSBox!

http://www.xtcabandonware.com/
From: Justin C on
On 2010-07-22, Jon <jon(a)eldner.no.email.org> wrote:
> On 22/07/2010 10:41am, Justin C wrote:
>>
>> I was unable to resist the temptation any longer. I have purchased
>> Lemmings ... for DOS. Well, it was under a fiver, and came with More
>> Lemmings too. The problem is that it's on floppy disk. I've access to
>> floppy drives all over the place, I have machines with FD drives running
>> DOS, Linux, and Win98.
>>
>> I'm intending to run DOSBox so that I can play this game. My question
>> is, what's the best way of dealing with these disks (one per game) so
>> that I can "get them into" DOSBox?
>>
>> Justin.
>>

> You've been done mate, you can get Lemmings (and many other great old
> DOS games) for FREE!
>
> Just un-zip 'em and run 'em in DOSBox!
>
> http://www.xtcabandonware.com/

AIUI Lemmings is not abandonware. Sony have presented 1UP, who wanted to
port the game, with a cease-and-desist order [1]. If it was abandonware I
don't think anyone would be that bothered, or they'd be in negotiation
for a cut of future profit instead.

1: <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmings_game>

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Justin C on
In article <1jm149p.10nawgz1vb369iN%jim(a)magrathea.plus.com>, Jim wrote:
> Justin C <justin.1007(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
>
>> I was unable to resist the temptation any longer. I have purchased
>> Lemmings ... for DOS. Well, it was under a fiver, and came with More
>> Lemmings too. The problem is that it's on floppy disk. I've access to
>> floppy drives all over the place, I have machines with FD drives running
>> DOS, Linux, and Win98.
>>
>> I'm intending to run DOSBox so that I can play this game. My question
>> is, what's the best way of dealing with these disks (one per game) so
>> that I can "get them into" DOSBox?
>
> I think I'd be inclined to use the Linux box and 'dd' to convert the
> physical floppies into image files.
>
> Something like
>
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.image bs=512
>
> then use the network or a USB thumb drive to copy the image over to your
> Mac.

I was worried that it'd come to that. It's been a long time since I used
dd, looks like it's back to the man page... dd was never easy to use.

Thanks for mentioning it. As no-one else has I'll assume that it's my
only option and go with it.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.