From: Jim on
In my 'Open with' contextual menu I'm seeing to entries for VLC, but
both open the same application. I've done a search for two actual copies
of VLC but there is only the one.

Any ideas? Not a problem, just a wee bit odd.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Steve on
On Jul 22, 9:15 am, j...(a)magrathea.plus.com (Jim) wrote:
> In my 'Open with' contextual menu I'm seeing to entries for VLC, but
> both open the same application. I've done a search for two actual copies
> of VLC but there is only the one.
>
> Any ideas? Not a problem, just a wee bit odd.

Have you recently updated the app and still have a copy in the trash?
--
Cheers,

Steve
From: Jim on
Steve <hamrun(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > In my 'Open with' contextual menu I'm seeing to entries for VLC, but
> > both open the same application. I've done a search for two actual copies
> > of VLC but there is only the one.
> >
> > Any ideas? Not a problem, just a wee bit odd.
>
> Have you recently updated the app and still have a copy in the trash?

Yes to the former, no to the latter. A Spotlight search reveals only one
application.

Jim
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-22 12:38:59 +0100, Jim said:

> Steve <hamrun(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> In my 'Open with' contextual menu I'm seeing to entries for VLC, but
>>> both open the same application. I've done a search for two actual copies
>>> of VLC but there is only the one.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Not a problem, just a wee bit odd.
>>
>> Have you recently updated the app and still have a copy in the trash?
>
> Yes to the former, no to the latter. A Spotlight search reveals only one
> application.

I wonder if the bundle ID (org.videolan.vlc) or signature has changed?

Call "lsregister -dump" and see if you can spot the dupes.

(It is in
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support)

--

Chris

From: zoara on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> In my 'Open with' contextual menu I'm seeing to entries for VLC, but
> both open the same application. I've done a search for two actual
> copies
> of VLC but there is only the one.
>
> Any ideas? Not a problem, just a wee bit odd.

Use Onyx or similar to rebuild the LaunchServices database.

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
 |  Next  |  Last