From: Howard on
Hi guys,

I have never had a password on my iMac except for the system password of
course. So anyone turning it on can open the files and stuff.

can I set a general access password so that anyone starting my mac needs
to input it ? but it gives access to everything ?

Howard
From: Sara Merriman on
In article <1jm0bpw.1xui38mi8wko8N%Howard.not(a)home.com>,
Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard) wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have never had a password on my iMac except for the system password of
> course. So anyone turning it on can open the files and stuff.
>
> can I set a general access password so that anyone starting my mac needs
> to input it ? but it gives access to everything ?
>
> Howard

Go to system prefs/accounts and turn off automatic login. This will use
the password you already have, you don't need to set another one. If you
don't want other people to know that password, then create a new user
account with its own password and then disable automatic login so that
there's a choice of the two accounts when the machine starts up.

--
Sara

Cuddler of rats, cats and husband
From: Howard on
Sara Merriman <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1jm0bpw.1xui38mi8wko8N%Howard.not(a)home.com>,
> Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard) wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I have never had a password on my iMac except for the system password of
> > course. So anyone turning it on can open the files and stuff.
> >
> > can I set a general access password so that anyone starting my mac needs
> > to input it ? but it gives access to everything ?
> >
> > Howard
>
> Go to system prefs/accounts and turn off automatic login. This will use
> the password you already have, you don't need to set another one. If you
> don't want other people to know that password, then create a new user
> account with its own password and then disable automatic login so that
> there's a choice of the two accounts when the machine starts up.

Tks Sara - is the password that applies the one I have to type in when I
stall a piece of software ?

I notice when I go into the security preference it does not offer any
ability to set that password or change it ?

sorry to ask a stupid Q but what is the significance of a different user
? Does it restrict access to other people's data ? apps ? desktop
background ? I'm not sure I understand it's puspose..

Howard
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:55:54 +0100, Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard)
wrote:

>Sara Merriman <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <1jm0bpw.1xui38mi8wko8N%Howard.not(a)home.com>,
>> Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard) wrote:
>>
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > I have never had a password on my iMac except for the system password of
>> > course. So anyone turning it on can open the files and stuff.
>> >
>> > can I set a general access password so that anyone starting my mac needs
>> > to input it ? but it gives access to everything ?
>> >
>> > Howard
>>
>> Go to system prefs/accounts and turn off automatic login. This will use
>> the password you already have, you don't need to set another one. If you
>> don't want other people to know that password, then create a new user
>> account with its own password and then disable automatic login so that
>> there's a choice of the two accounts when the machine starts up.
>
>Tks Sara - is the password that applies the one I have to type in when I
>stall a piece of software ?

It is indeed.

>I notice when I go into the security preference it does not offer any
>ability to set that password or change it ?

It's in Accounts Preferences instead, pick yourself from the list on
the left and press the "Change Password" button.

>sorry to ask a stupid Q but what is the significance of a different user
>? Does it restrict access to other people's data ? apps ? desktop
>background ? I'm not sure I understand it's puspose..

It gives a complete second environment and set of user folders
(documents, music, desktop, mail etc) which other users cannot look
at.

It's primarily useful when you have two+ people who share a computer,
but it can also be useful to have a home and a work setup, or a second
account for visitors, and so on.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher priority
for ATC. I say safety is noise abatement. You have no idea how much
From: Sara on
In article <1jm358b.11xwjzx1v7lkcyN%Howard.not(a)home.com>,
Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard) wrote:

> Sara Merriman <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <1jm0bpw.1xui38mi8wko8N%Howard.not(a)home.com>,
> > Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I have never had a password on my iMac except for the system password of
> > > course. So anyone turning it on can open the files and stuff.
> > >
> > > can I set a general access password so that anyone starting my mac needs
> > > to input it ? but it gives access to everything ?
> > >
> > > Howard
> >
> > Go to system prefs/accounts and turn off automatic login. This will use
> > the password you already have, you don't need to set another one. If you
> > don't want other people to know that password, then create a new user
> > account with its own password and then disable automatic login so that
> > there's a choice of the two accounts when the machine starts up.
>
> Tks Sara - is the password that applies the one I have to type in when I
> stall a piece of software ?

Yes, that's the one.

> I notice when I go into the security preference it does not offer any
> ability to set that password or change it ?

It's is account prefs, not security.

> sorry to ask a stupid Q but what is the significance of a different user
> ? Does it restrict access to other people's data ? apps ? desktop
> background ? I'm not sure I understand it's puspose..

Yes, that's what it does. You can have several people all with an
account on the same machine and they're walled off from each other's
data. Each will have their own desktop, documents and prefs.

There's even an account-specific applications folder so one user can
install an app that the others can't use - as long as that user has the
necessary privilages to install apps. I noticed that Filemaker installs
into the user's applications folder instead of the main one by default.
Bloody annoying.

--
Sara

Run out of ideas for a sig for the moment