From: Howard on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> It gives a complete second environment and set of user folders
> (documents, music, desktop, mail etc) which other users cannot look
> at.

Does it prevent them from opening the fiolders ? What about going into
Mail and seeing email ?

Regards,.

Howard
From: Sara on
In article <1jm3ant.br77xv10hco2eN%Howard.not(a)home.com>,
Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard) wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
> > It gives a complete second environment and set of user folders
> > (documents, music, desktop, mail etc) which other users cannot look
> > at.
>
> Does it prevent them from opening the fiolders ? What about going into
> Mail and seeing email ?

It's as if they're sitting at a different computer. They cannot access
your folders or email. There is a folder on the machine that is not user
specific, within the Users folder called (funnily enough!) Shared. You
can keep documents that you both want to use there, or you give each
other read/write access to other folders in your user account.

But if what you want is for anyone logged in to ytour Mac to have access
to those things, then separate user accounts isn't the way for you.

--
Sara

Run out of ideas for a sig for the moment
From: zoara on
Howard <Howard.not(a)home.com> wrote:
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> It gives a complete second environment and set of user folders
>> (documents, music, desktop, mail etc) which other users cannot look
>> at.
>
> Does it prevent them from opening the fiolders ? What about going
> into
> Mail and seeing email ?

It's like a completely different computer.

Pretty much the only thing the two users are both able to see are
Applications and the /Users/Shared folder. If I updated Safari, you'd
get the updated Safari too; if you saved something in /Users/Shared, I
could see it. Oh, and if the system were upgraded (10.6.1 to 10.6.2) it
would happen for both of us.

Aside from that, I couldn't do anything to your stuff and you couldn't
do anything to mine. Email, desktop, windows, files, dock... All
completely distinct. I think even if I changed the volume on my account
it wouldn't change in yours. Why not give it a try and see? Create a new
user and see if you can change any of your old stuff... (just make sure
you know your original password so you can get back to your old stuff!)

I'm simplifying because the stuff that is shared won't be of any
interest to you based on the question you're asking. It's a bit more
complicated but you really don't need to care.

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Howard on
Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1jm3ant.br77xv10hco2eN%Howard.not(a)home.com>,
> Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard) wrote:
>
> > Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
> >
> > > It gives a complete second environment and set of user folders
> > > (documents, music, desktop, mail etc) which other users cannot look
> > > at.
> >
> > Does it prevent them from opening the fiolders ? What about going into
> > Mail and seeing email ?
> >
> It's as if they're sitting at a different computer. They cannot access
> your folders or email. There is a folder on the machine that is not user
> specific, within the Users folder called (funnily enough!) Shared. You
> can keep documents that you both want to use there, or you give each
> other read/write access to other folders in your user account.
>
> But if what you want is for anyone logged in to ytour Mac to have access
> to those things, then separate user accounts isn't the way for you.

Tks for all this info zoara and sarah .. I have been a mac user for
yonks and internet for yonks+ but never got involved with users until my
marriage crashed recently and she has taken to reading my phone (iPhone)
and now computer .... so time to batten down the hatches.

I instigated the main password today. I then went to restart the iMac
and got locked out !

10 minutes later ... I noticed the caps lock was on LOL .... I won't say
what names I called ye guys LOL !!!

Q: When I went to log in it offered me my main account and also "Other
account" but I have no other account ... this is confusing.

On the subject of testing it out I will do that tomorrow and see how it
goes. I have a memory of having been asked when installed apps or
something before if I wanted it for all users or only me and I always
chose all ... but I find that odd now as there is only one user
account...

Howard
From: David Empson on
Howard <Howard.not(a)home.com> wrote:

> Sara <saramerriman(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <1jm3ant.br77xv10hco2eN%Howard.not(a)home.com>,
> > Howard.not(a)home.com (Howard) wrote:

> > > Does it prevent them from opening the fiolders ? What about going into
> > > Mail and seeing email ?
> > >
> > It's as if they're sitting at a different computer. They cannot access
> > your folders or email. There is a folder on the machine that is not user
> > specific, within the Users folder called (funnily enough!) Shared. You
> > can keep documents that you both want to use there, or you give each
> > other read/write access to other folders in your user account.
> >
> > But if what you want is for anyone logged in to ytour Mac to have access
> > to those things, then separate user accounts isn't the way for you.
>
> Tks for all this info zoara and sarah .. I have been a mac user for
> yonks and internet for yonks+ but never got involved with users until my
> marriage crashed recently and she has taken to reading my phone (iPhone)
> and now computer .... so time to batten down the hatches.
>
> I instigated the main password today. I then went to restart the iMac
> and got locked out !
>
> 10 minutes later ... I noticed the caps lock was on LOL .... I won't say
> what names I called ye guys LOL !!!
>
> Q: When I went to log in it offered me my main account and also "Other
> account" but I have no other account ... this is confusing.

The "Other account" option only appears on some computers, if a deeply
buried configuration option is enabled (it may have been there always on
much older versions of Mac OS X). It lets you log in to a networked
computer or a special account on your computer by typing in both the
account name and password.

> On the subject of testing it out I will do that tomorrow and see how it
> goes. I have a memory of having been asked when installed apps or
> something before if I wanted it for all users or only me and I always
> chose all ... but I find that odd now as there is only one user
> account...

That question is only significant if you had multiple user accounts or
intended to add them later.

When an installer asks that question, it really means "Do you want to
install in the system-wide top-level folder which will be available for
all user accounts on the computer, or in the user-specific location
under your own home folder".

For example, an add-on pane for System Preferences can be installed
inside the Library folder at the top level of your hard drive, or in the
Library folder inside your home folder.

The Library and Applications folders at the top level of the hard drive
can be used by all user accounts on the computer.

The Library and Applications folders inside your home folder can only be
used by your user account. (There isn't normally an Applications folder
there, but one can be created.)

If you don't have and will never have multiple user accounts, it is a
moot point.
--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz