From: Dave Symes on
In article
<560eba79-dddd-49eb-8b3b-8a83dd7eebc1(a)q23g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
GSHATTERHAND <gshatterhand(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 12:44 am, Dave Symes <d...(a)triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > I don't understand... I have PSP 9.01 working under Windows 7, and
> > aside from a couple of minor niggles... The same as Vista, it works
> > okay.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Triffid

> I'm sure you have a better understanding than I, Dave. I'm not wise
> about software or computers. I suppose the blame could be with my lack
> of expertise.

> At first, Corel told me PSP 9 would absolutely not work in Windows 7.
> So I bought a later version and installed that in Windows 7. I so
> hated the Organizer I stopped using it. But I kept PSP 9 working in a
> dual drive in XP. Just in the past week, my computer shop was able to
> get PSP 9 working for me in Windows 7 but they had to use a bunch of
> work arounds to make it happen. I can't describe them with any
> technical expertise but they claim they had to install it in a
> separate file from where Windows 7 keeps most programs. I get error
> messages I have to ignore and bypass to make PSP 9 work in Windows 7.
> It's possible what are minor niggles for you are major for me. For me
> the experience has been a hassle but if I has better computer skills I
> might not have any complaints. Maybe it will all work out as I get
> more experience. But for now PSP 9 does not work smoothly in Windows 7.

Indeedy the Organizing thing in the Corel versions is one of the main
reasons why I'm back using PSP 9.

Couple of points to make.
On my machine, PSP 9.01 is not installed in the usual place (Program
Files) but in a Dir in which I install apps that are not system or MS
stuff.
Installing an app elsewhere, is neither here nor there, as when the
application is installed its directory path location will be auto-written
to the registry.

The niggles with PSP 9 and Win 7 are so trivial, at this point I can only
remember one, and that is, you need to set the printer default you require
in Windows, as you *can't* set it from the PSP print dialogue window.

My guess is, something in the registry had got itsef in a tangle, as
things do.

If it was me... But of course it is your choice. ;-)

I'd do a complete uninstall, using the ZapJasc.exe removal application, to
Uninstall and clean out the registry. (If you want to have a go at that
and can't find it, I can send you a copy).

Thereafter do a clean install.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
From: Dave Symes on
On 13 Mar, dave(a)triffid.co.uk wrote:
[Snippy]
> I'd do a complete uninstall, using the ZapJasc.exe removal application,
> to Uninstall and clean out the registry. (If you want to have a go at
> that and can't find it, I can send you a copy).

> Thereafter do a clean install.

> Dave

An afterthought.
You could of course try running it in "Compatibility mode for Win XP"

Find the Paint Shop Pro 9.exe (Can also be done via a Shortcut).
Right hand mouse button... Down to Properties.
Compatibility Tab.
Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
Select from the dropdown arrow.
Win XP (Service pack 3)
Apply and OK it.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid
From: GSHATTERHAND on
On Mar 13, 6:59 am, Dave Symes <d...(a)triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> On 13 Mar, d...(a)triffid.co.uk wrote:
> [Snippy]
>
> > I'd do a complete uninstall, using the ZapJasc.exe removal application,
> > to Uninstall and clean out the registry. (If you want to have a go at
> > that and can't find it, I can send you a copy).
> > Thereafter do a clean install.
> > Dave
>
> An afterthought.
> You could of course try running it in "Compatibility mode for Win XP"
>
> Find the Paint Shop Pro 9.exe (Can also be done via a Shortcut).
> Right hand mouse button... Down to Properties.
> Compatibility Tab.
> Tick "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
> Select from the dropdown arrow.
> Win XP (Service pack 3)
> Apply and OK it.
>
> Dave
>
> --
>
> Dave Triffid

Your suggestions are much appreciated. I don't have the skills to do
those things myself and will pass your words along to my computer guy
who not only owns the shop but is something of a friend. He does not
use PSP himself so your advice should be helpful to him. Thanks for
taking the time to share your knowledge, Dave.
From: treker on
Another consideration.

PSP 9.01 is a 32-bit app developed for use in either Vista or XP.
Windows 7 is designed around a 64-bit system core which may create
incompatibilites with the PSP app. If you or your friend set up the
XP mode virtual machine environment within the Win 7 configuration,
you may be able to get PSP 9.01 operating more smoothly (at least
that's the gist I get from PC World magazine's articles on the new
OS). navigate over to the PCworld website and look up any articles you
can find on setting up Win 7 to operate the XP apps. That should
provide many answers to your questions.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:24:31 -0800 (PST), GSHATTERHAND

From: GSHATTERHAND on
On Mar 13, 10:10 pm, treker <treker1...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Another consideration.
>
> PSP 9.01 is a 32-bit app developed for use in either Vista or XP.
> Windows 7 is designed around a 64-bit system core which may create
> incompatibilites with the PSP app. If you or your friend set up the
> XP mode virtual machine environment within the Win 7 configuration,
> you may be able to get PSP 9.01 operating more smoothly (at least
> that's the gist I get from PC World magazine's articles on the new
> OS). navigate over to the PCworld website and look up any articles you
> can find on setting up Win 7 to operate the XP apps. That should
> provide many answers to your questions.
>
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:24:31 -0800 (PST), GSHATTERHAND
>
> <gshatterh...(a)aol.com> wrote:

Thank you. We will consider this, too.