From: Robert Jones on

Richard wrote:
> > A PIC X(04) VALUE IS 'BCDN'.
> > B REDEFINES A PIC S9(04).
> > ADD 1000 TO B.
> > DISPLAY B.
>
> > Could you please let me know how this conversion from unpacked to
> > packed decimal is ...
>
> It _isn't_ packed. There is no 'unpacked to packed conversion'. It is
> all unpacked. The only 'conversion' is that the zone bits are zeroised.

I was under the impression that all arithmetic on display values in an
IBM mainframe environment involved conversion to packed decimal and
back. I don't know about other platforms.

From: Alistair on

Michael Mattias wrote:
> "raveendra_ibm" <raveendra_ibm.21axog(a)no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote
> in message news:raveendra_ibm.21axog(a)no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...
> >
> > Thanks Michael Mattias !!!
> >
> > I just wanted to know if I could change the data being displayed
> > in various formats in 'cobdata.zip'
> > (http://www.flexus.com/ftp/cobdata.zip).
>
> That capability is actually on my 'new features list' - if and when I
> ever make good on my threat to update that software.
>
> > I am working on IBM Mainframes that uses EBCDIC representation.
> > Could you please let me know if there is any compiler or supporting
> > cobol tool that interprets the program step wise and also enables us to
> > view the changing values in variables.
>
> I know there are third-party stepping debuggers available for the IBM
> mainframe COBOL compiler. I cannot recall any of the specific brand names,
> but a search for "COBOL stepping debugger IBM mainframe" using your choice
> of internet search tools will surely turn up a couple.

Perhaps Raveendra would care to purchase Xpeditor. I know, from
personal experience, that it works beautifully.

From: Richard on

From: Michael Mattias on
"Robert Jones" <rjones0(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I was under the impression that all arithmetic on display values in an
> IBM mainframe environment involved conversion to packed decimal and
> back. I don't know about other platforms.

The specification for the COBOL DISPLAY verb is totally devoid of 'how' the
implementor is to accomplish the result; only the 'what' is part of the
COBOL language.

Earlier this thread I replied to OP re this: I believe the IBM mainframe
compiler offers a compiler option you can specify which will result in the
creation of an assembler list. If you can get that and read assembler, you
will be able to understand the 'how.'

MCM

From: on
In article <Rztwf.14858$oW.10269(a)newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
Michael Mattias <michael.mattias(a)gte.net> wrote:

[snip]

>Earlier this thread I replied to OP re this: I believe the IBM mainframe
>compiler offers a compiler option you can specify which will result in the
>creation of an assembler list. If you can get that and read assembler, you
>will be able to understand the 'how.'

The option for the OldBOL compiler (IKFCBL00) was PMAP, for various
versions of IGYCRCTL it is LIST.

DD

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7