From: Bob Vance on
Douglas, The coder that help me develop my db said DAO wont work with Win7
and will get outdataed . Is this correct??
Regards Bob

From: Douglas J. Steele on
The coder is very misinformed.

Not only does DAO still work in Win 7, but it's part of the Microsoft Office
12.0 (and Office 14.0) Access database engine object library.

On the other hand, development work stopped on ADO quite some time ago.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

From: David W. Fenton on

> How big a job would it be to change?
> Most of them are repeated codes?

It depends entirely on the specifics, so I can't actually say. If
most of it is stuff that overlaps between ADO/DAO, then it's no big
deal. On the other hand, if the code is doing things that are done
differently, it's another matter entirely.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
"Bob Vance" <rjvance(a)ihug.co.nz> wrote in

> But I do have a DAO Script in my db a Security feature from
> KeyedAccess

You could switch this one thing to late binding, since you can
always use the DBEngine object as your top-level DAO
starting point. You would then use Object variables instead of types
specific to the DAO library.

If I were handed a database like yours I'd decide whether to commit
to an ADO or DAO reference based on whether or not I was responsible
for just maintaining the app, or if I was being asked to extend it.
If the former, I'd convert the one DAO function to late binding, and
keep only the ADO reference. If the latter, I'd take the time to
convert all the ADO do DAO.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: mansore511 on

‏‏كتب "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> في رسالة
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele(a)NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Note that he's missing the quotes around "Outlook.Application"
>
> Hmm. I'd think that wouldn't compile unless you still had the
> reference. Of course, if the reference is still there, that would
> explain why olMailItem doesn't throw a compile error.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

First  |  Prev  |