From: Robert Klemme on
On 04.12.2007 00:05, joel garry wrote:
> On Dec 3, 12:01 am, "shortcut...(a)googlemail.com"
> <shortcut...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 2 Dez., 20:24, Rick Denoire <educacion.super...(a)online.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Robert
>>> I spent two weeks (!) investigating the question.
>>> I required support from the vendor, sent them detailed informations.
>>> I let users do different tests.
>>> I collected and printed performance numbers, execution plans, looked
>>> into waits, used AWR, ADDM, SQL Tuning Advisors, statistics
>>> with/without histograms. I was playing with different init parameters
>>> (mostly making things even worse). I set up a clone database, did more
>>> tests... hey! Let's stop.
>>> As you can see from other replies, you are guessing wrong. (Typical
>>> case when people try to complicate obvious things).
>> What exactly did I guess? While you mention "obvious": all the items
>> you list above were not obvious from your first posting. All that you
>> mentioned was that "after some investigation" you found an
>> undocumented parameter that seemingly fixed the issue. While you are
>> obviously aware of all this, others are not.
>
> You might check, that happens to be documented. The documentation has
> words that you can search on for more information, like "view merging"
> and "query rewrite."

Um, where exactly is it documented that Rick spent two weeks researching
and what he found other than in his recent posting?

>>> If the software is just misbehaving, all this knowledge is for
>>> nothing. Almost every query was doing FTS of huge tables, main
>>> activity was direct path read. Same application was still installed in
>>> the old server running 9i: Execution plans were completely different.
>>> So what? It could have been something different than direct path
>>> reads, it does not bear any direct logical relationship to the
>>> solution. Based on this "knowledge", you would probably... buy more
>>> disks?? Wrong!
>> No need to get agitated.
>
> I think problems that lead to the incorrect database data should lead
> to agitation, such as the bug Noons was referring to. Simply spending
> money on disk unnecessarily might reasonably lead to a lesser amount
> of agitation, though personally I'll use up as much as I can take,
> since proper capacity planning seems useless.

Agreed. But getting agitated because someone cannot read one's mind
seems a bit over the top. :-)

Cheers

robert
From: Ben on
>if you don't have multiple schemas then it's fine.
>If you do, then watch out for tables with the
>same name in different schemas and auto sga:
>deadly combination!

Ok, you got my attention! Please give me a link to more information on
this. Of course I'm using auto sga and we have about 6 schemas in our
database that have tables named the same. I haven't seen any *gulp,
knock on wood* updating of tables in wrong schemas. Is it only related
to certain types of tables?
From: hpuxrac on
On Dec 4, 2:29 pm, Ben <benal...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >if you don't have multiple schemas then it's fine.
> >If you do, then watch out for tables with the
> >same name in different schemas and auto sga:
> >deadly combination!
>
> Ok, you got my attention! Please give me a link to more information on
> this. Of course I'm using auto sga and we have about 6 schemas in our
> database that have tables named the same. I haven't seen any *gulp,
> knock on wood* updating of tables in wrong schemas. Is it only related
> to certain types of tables?

Nuno has talked a lot about this both on cdos and in his blog ... not
hard to find those is it?

As I remember it the problems start popping up under load and when the
"owner.table_name" or "owner.view_name" isn't completely specified
( ie the "owner." part ommitted ).

Maybe I don't have a good understanding of it though so check out what
Nuno has written ( isn't it dbas-r-us for his blog or similar ).
From: Ben on
On Dec 4, 2:49 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2:29 pm, Ben <benal...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >if you don't have multiple schemas then it's fine.
> > >If you do, then watch out for tables with the
> > >same name in different schemas and auto sga:
> > >deadly combination!
>
> > Ok, you got my attention! Please give me a link to more information on
> > this. Of course I'm using auto sga and we have about 6 schemas in our
> > database that have tables named the same. I haven't seen any *gulp,
> > knock on wood* updating of tables in wrong schemas. Is it only related
> > to certain types of tables?
>
> Nuno has talked a lot about this both on cdos and in his blog ... not
> hard to find those is it?
>
> As I remember it the problems start popping up under load and when the
> "owner.table_name" or "owner.view_name" isn't completely specified
> ( ie the "owner." part ommitted ).
>
> Maybe I don't have a good understanding of it though so check out what
> Nuno has written ( isn't it dbas-r-us for his blog or similar ).

I just spent about 20 minutes trying to sift through the blog, ( it is
hell trying to find anything on a blog unless you know the approximate
timeline ) and did a google search for cdos ( which just gets me debt
consolidation sites ). anyway I could get a link or unabreviated name?
From: Ben on
On Dec 4, 4:00 pm, Ben <benal...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Ok, you got my attention! Please give me a link to more information on
> > > this. Of course I'm using auto sga and we have about 6 schemas in our
> > > database that have tables named the same. I haven't seen any *gulp,
> > > knock on wood* updating of tables in wrong schemas. Is it only related
> > > to certain types of tables?
>
> > Nuno has talked a lot about this both on cdos and in his blog ... not
> > hard to find those is it?
>
> > As I remember it the problems start popping up under load and when the
> > "owner.table_name" or "owner.view_name" isn't completely specified
> > ( ie the "owner." part ommitted ).
>
> > Maybe I don't have a good understanding of it though so check out what
> > Nuno has written ( isn't it dbas-r-us for his blog or similar ).
>
> I just spent about 20 minutes trying to sift through the blog, ( it is
> hell trying to find anything on a blog unless you know the approximate
> timeline ) and did a google search for cdos ( which just gets me debt
> consolidation sites ). anyway I could get a link or unabreviated name?- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, I meant to *ask* if * I could * get a link. working on 4 hours
sleep and a sinus infection that is making me quite groggy.