From: Drazic on
"Doug McDonald" <mcdonald(a)scs.uiuc.edu.remove.invalid> wrote in message
> On 5/4/2010 6:15 AM, Drazic wrote:
>

>> Just out of interest, what do you want the camera's to do that they
>> can't at the moment?
>>
>> It's not a dig, just interested.
>
> I'll tell what I want:
>
> 1) better autofocus. This means a smaller spots, all of which are
> full X style and work at f/2.8. It also means they actually work
> and actually focus on what they are aimed at.
>
> 2) a histogram superimposed on a Live View so one can
> adjust exposure while aiming the camera. This should be
> the histogram for RAW mode files, not after JPEGization.
>
> Other than that, my current camera, an old 30D, works fine.
>
> Doug McDonald

I thought the 7D has all X-type AF points, spot AF and dynamic EV
compensation in live view mode?

With regards to the X-type focus points, I'm not sure they are as big a deal
as people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong, I welcome them too,
however a few years back I thought I'd see what all the fuss was about, and
the only way I could a non X-type camera (20D) to fail to focus was by
putting one of the outer focus points on a vertical door frame with the
camera in landscape position. However, in real situations, I've never had a
problem. Maybe it depends on what you're shooting/lens speed.

As per the histogram, even if it does use the preview JPEG, on the bright
side surely it will give you more room for error during post. But, I assume
that maybe you use the histogram/blinking display to determine whether
you've blown out a white background, but when you get it in post you find
out there is still detail?

From: Drazic on
"John A." <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 May 2010 18:55:47 -0500, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>"Drazic" <drazic(a)mocktown.net> wrote in
>>
>>> "RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> ..
>>>

>>> I think it's more about the importance of releasing something that
>>> people want/need, at a reasonable price.
>>>
>>> To try and put it into perspective, people will pay more for a car
>>> with air con, but they don't really care about digital climate
>>> control, as long as it blows cold air when they need it. Sure digital
>>> climate control with individual temperatures on each side looks good,
>>> but it doesn't really serve a useful purpose.
>>>
>>> Just out of interest, what do you want the camera's to do that they
>>> can't at the moment?
>>>
>>> It's not a dig, just interested.
>>
>>Switch sensors at will.
>
> Which one's Will?

I think it's a small town in Illinois.

From: Drazic on
"Drazic" <drazic(a)mocktown.net> wrote in message

Speaking of AF, has anyone used a 7D when panning? Or more specifically,
the custom function for 'AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity' when panning?

One of the major p*ss offs for missing a shot with AF was when panning a
moving subject and the AF would suddenly try to focus on an object in the
foreground that briefly got in the way.

Curious to know how well it works, particularly from anyone who shoots
birds/airplanes/sports.

From: Russ D on
On Thu, 6 May 2010 11:20:22 +0100, "Drazic" <drazic(a)mocktown.net> wrote:

>"Drazic" <drazic(a)mocktown.net> wrote in message
>

>Speaking of AF, has anyone used a 7D when panning? Or more specifically,
>the custom function for 'AI Servo Tracking Sensitivity' when panning?
>
>One of the major p*ss offs for missing a shot with AF was when panning a
>moving subject and the AF would suddenly try to focus on an object in the
>foreground that briefly got in the way.
>
>Curious to know how well it works, particularly from anyone who shoots
>birds/airplanes/sports.

These situations will always be where the skill of the photographer comes
into play. Quickly lock the camera into manual focus at a hyperfocal
setting. I don't care how much you want to depend on a fully automated
point & shoot DSLR to accomplish all your photography for you. No camera on
earth will be able to predict the proper exposure and focus in situations
like those. This is why I use high-quality super-zoom P&S cameras for all
my fast subject needs. I don't have to worry about having to change lenses
for the right focal-length too as a bird in flight quickly moves from 5
meters to 100 meters away. Set a focus at a hyperfocal distance and I get a
perfect shot every time.

But you go ahead, keep trying to be a snapshooter and keep trying to find a
camera that will make up for your lack of talent. They all do it, so you
should too.

From: Drazic on

>>>Switch sensors at will.
>>
>> Which one's Will?
>

> I think it's a small town in Illinois.

Going back to my original analogy. Manufacturers have spent time and money
developing a fancy climate control system that allows people two foot away
from each other to adjust the temperature independently from one another, in
a passenger compartment the size of Frank Bruno's jock strap.

Surely you must wonder whether the time would have been better spent
developing a system that gives you instant warm air when you get into your
car on a cold winter morning.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Lighting equipment for portraits