From: PaddleHard on
Hello group,

I'm doing some research on buying some lighting equipment for studio
portraits. There's a ton of gear out there and it's all pretty
confusing. As I push through some books/vids, I thought I'd ask the
experts: what's a good way to start with doing some simple portraits?
I would be taking this on location or setup at home with a background
(probably white).

Umbrella or softbox? What type of umbrella--shoot through?
Strobe lighting, fluorescent, or flash?

I know it depends on how much $$ I want to spend. If I could create
nice, professional looking portraits with a single light (and later
build on that as I learn more), that would be a great place to start.

Thanks,
From: LOL! on
On Mon, 3 May 2010 14:43:21 -0700 (PDT), PaddleHard <ipaddle4fun(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>As I push through some books/vids, I thought I'd ask the
>experts:

BWAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Too funny!

Sorry, but you've come to the wrong place. 99% of the posters to this
newsgroup have never touched a camera in their lifetime, nearly all are
just resident trolls that live in this newsgroup like their little
imaginary club-house. All they know is what they read on the net, and
poorly comprehend at that. They are also dependent on whatever manuals they
can download so they can pretend to own that camera or equipment. They use
this forum like a virtual-reality role-play fantasy life, only pretending
to be photographers.

But hey! Good luck! May you be able to sort out the 1 bit of genuine advice
from the 99 others that are only imagining what might be valid information
useful in real-life.

LOL!

From: Floyd L. Davidson on
PaddleHard <ipaddle4fun(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello group,
>
>I'm doing some research on buying some lighting equipment for studio
>portraits. There's a ton of gear out there and it's all pretty
>confusing. As I push through some books/vids, I thought I'd ask the
>experts: what's a good way to start with doing some simple portraits?
>I would be taking this on location or setup at home with a background
>(probably white).
>
>Umbrella or softbox? What type of umbrella--shoot through?
>Strobe lighting, fluorescent, or flash?
>
>I know it depends on how much $$ I want to spend. If I could create
>nice, professional looking portraits with a single light (and later
>build on that as I learn more), that would be a great place to start.

Here's a video you'll want to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH84-pA7p-c

That is from prophotolife.com, and Episode 13 is titled
"Beautiful Photo Studio Portraits w/ One Light".

Note that there are 30 or so episodes available from
prophotolife.com, and 14 is also specifically interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8mhBtIAco

"Classic Three Light Portrait / Photo Studio"

Do a search and look at the entire series, because they
are really well done and very interesting.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd(a)apaflo.com
From: gumby on
On 03/05/2010 2:43 PM, PaddleHard wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'm doing some research on buying some lighting equipment for studio
> portraits. There's a ton of gear out there and it's all pretty
> confusing. As I push through some books/vids, I thought I'd ask the
> experts: what's a good way to start with doing some simple portraits?
> I would be taking this on location or setup at home with a background
> (probably white).

A window and a large piece of white cardboard to reflect light back into
the shadow side of the face. Cheap and effective and natural light is
preferable to me than man-made light.
From: bugbear on
LOL! wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2010 14:43:21 -0700 (PDT), PaddleHard <ipaddle4fun(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As I push through some books/vids, I thought I'd ask the
>> experts:
>
> BWAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!
>
> Too funny!
>
> Sorry, but you've come to the wrong place. 99% of the posters to this
> newsgroup have never touched a camera in their lifetime, nearly all are
> just resident trolls that live in this newsgroup like their little
> imaginary club-house. All they know is what they read on the net, and
> poorly comprehend at that. They are also dependent on whatever manuals they
> can download so they can pretend to own that camera or equipment. They use
> this forum like a virtual-reality role-play fantasy life, only pretending
> to be photographers.
>
> But hey! Good luck! May you be able to sort out the 1 bit of genuine advice
> from the 99 others that are only imagining what might be valid information
> useful in real-life.

(lack of any useful content noted)

BugBear