From: bugbear on
PaddleHard wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'm doing some research on buying some lighting equipment for studio
> portraits. There's a ton of gear out there and it's all pretty
> confusing. As I push through some books/vids, I thought I'd ask the
> experts: what's a good way to start with doing some simple portraits?

Finish the books and vids!

BugBear
From: Tim Conway on

"gumby" <gumby(a)here.com> wrote in message
> On 03/05/2010 2:43 PM, PaddleHard wrote:
>> Hello group,
>>
>> I'm doing some research on buying some lighting equipment for studio
>> portraits. There's a ton of gear out there and it's all pretty
>> confusing. As I push through some books/vids, I thought I'd ask the
>> experts: what's a good way to start with doing some simple portraits?
>> I would be taking this on location or setup at home with a background
>> (probably white).
>
> A window and a large piece of white cardboard to reflect light back into
> the shadow side of the face. Cheap and effective and natural light is
> preferable to me than man-made light.

I agree. The north side of the house is best.

From: George Kerby on

On 5/4/10 7:51 AM, in article hrp58h$pd4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org, "Tim
Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> "gumby" <gumby(a)here.com> wrote in message
>> On 03/05/2010 2:43 PM, PaddleHard wrote:
>>> Hello group,
>>>
>>> I'm doing some research on buying some lighting equipment for studio
>>> portraits. There's a ton of gear out there and it's all pretty
>>> confusing. As I push through some books/vids, I thought I'd ask the
>>> experts: what's a good way to start with doing some simple portraits?
>>> I would be taking this on location or setup at home with a background
>>> (probably white).
>>
>> A window and a large piece of white cardboard to reflect light back into
>> the shadow side of the face. Cheap and effective and natural light is
>> preferable to me than man-made light.
>
> I agree. The north side of the house is best.

Well, I guess it wouldn't cost too much for the OP to cut out a picture
window in his living room and have his subjects, mostly strangers, come to
his home for a sitting, eh?

I do not agree...

From: PaddleHard on
On May 4, 9:18 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/4/10 7:51 AM, in article hrp58h$pd...(a)news.eternal-september.org, "Tim
>

> Conway" <tconway_...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "gumby" <gu...(a)here.com> wrote in message

> >> A window and a large piece of white cardboard to reflect light back into
> >> the shadow side of the face. Cheap and effective and natural light is
> >> preferable to me than man-made light.
>
> > I agree.  The north side of the house is best.
>
> Well, I guess it wouldn't cost too much for the OP to cut out a picture
> window in his living room and have his subjects, mostly strangers, come to
> his home for a sitting, eh?
>
> I do not agree...

Might be cheaper to buy lights. Might.
From: Tim Conway on

"PaddleHard" <ipaddle4fun(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On May 4, 9:18 am, George Kerby <ghost_top...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/4/10 7:51 AM, in article hrp58h$pd...(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> "Tim
>

> Conway" <tconway_...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "gumby" <gu...(a)here.com> wrote in message

> >> A window and a large piece of white cardboard to reflect light back
> >> into
> >> the shadow side of the face. Cheap and effective and natural light is
> >> preferable to me than man-made light.
>
> > I agree. The north side of the house is best.
>
> Well, I guess it wouldn't cost too much for the OP to cut out a picture
> window in his living room and have his subjects, mostly strangers, come to
> his home for a sitting, eh?
>
> I do not agree...

>Might be cheaper to buy lights. Might.

If you do, I definitely go the flash & umbrella or softbox route instead of
tungsten lights. Clients generally prefer the flashes rather than sitting
under the hot lights.