From: Allen on
gumby wrote:
> On 05/05/2010 3:45 PM, Gill Collins wrote:
>
>> Charcoal
>> Potassium (or Sodium) nitrate
>> Sulfur
>> Magnesium
>>

> OK, thnks. I'll try it.
Better find the quantity of each ingredient first--and I wouldn't be
surprised if you had to grind up the magnesium yourself. And--TRY IT
OUTDOORS FIRST!
Allen
From: gumby on
On 08/05/2010 7:23 AM, Allen wrote:

> Better find the quantity of each ingredient first--and I wouldn't be
> surprised if you had to grind up the magnesium yourself. And--TRY IT
> OUTDOORS FIRST!
> Allen

I was just kidding, I am not interested in making flash powder. I had a
chemical kit when I was a kid so had enough fun with that kind of thing.
I once threw some chemicals together in a test tube and ended up with
some sort of mild acid. Some spilled on my shoulder when I shook it and
burned through my T-Shirt and burned my skin. It's amazing they were
legally allowed to sell those kits for kids and it's obvious why they
are no longer on the market to buy.
From: Peter on
"gumby" <gumby(a)here.com> wrote in message
> On 08/05/2010 7:23 AM, Allen wrote:
>
>> Better find the quantity of each ingredient first--and I wouldn't be
>> surprised if you had to grind up the magnesium yourself. And--TRY IT
>> OUTDOORS FIRST!
>> Allen
>
> I was just kidding, I am not interested in making flash powder. I had a
> chemical kit when I was a kid so had enough fun with that kind of thing. I
> once threw some chemicals together in a test tube and ended up with some
> sort of mild acid. Some spilled on my shoulder when I shook it and burned
> through my T-Shirt and burned my skin. It's amazing they were legally
> allowed to sell those kits for kids and it's obvious why they are no
> longer on the market to buy.

As a kid I lived in an apartment building. One day I decided to generate
hydrogen sulfide gas. I also had a war surplus gas mask, so I really had no
idea of the quantity I generated. Let's just say my neighbors were not
pleased with my experiments.
In high school I majored in chemistry. We would run down the halls with one
guy carrying a gallon of muriatic acid and I would carry a gallon of
ammonia. We would each leave a trail of our respective liquids and when the
two combined, clouds of ammonium chloride would be generated. The school
officials were quite tolerant and we only got a few days of detention.
Today, I could see newspaper headlines claiming we tried to blow up the
school.

--
Peter

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "gumby" <gumby(a)here.com> wrote in message
>> On 08/05/2010 7:23 AM, Allen wrote:
>>
>>> Better find the quantity of each ingredient first--and I wouldn't be
>>> surprised if you had to grind up the magnesium yourself. And--TRY IT
>>> OUTDOORS FIRST!
>>> Allen
>>
>> I was just kidding, I am not interested in making flash powder. I had a
>> chemical kit when I was a kid so had enough fun with that kind of thing.
>> I once threw some chemicals together in a test tube and ended up with
>> some sort of mild acid. Some spilled on my shoulder when I shook it and
>> burned through my T-Shirt and burned my skin. It's amazing they were
>> legally allowed to sell those kits for kids and it's obvious why they are
>> no longer on the market to buy.
>

> As a kid I lived in an apartment building. One day I decided to generate
> hydrogen sulfide gas. I also had a war surplus gas mask, so I really had
> no idea of the quantity I generated. Let's just say my neighbors were not
> pleased with my experiments.
> In high school I majored in chemistry. We would run down the halls with
> one guy carrying a gallon of muriatic acid and I would carry a gallon of
> ammonia. We would each leave a trail of our respective liquids and when
> the two combined, clouds of ammonium chloride would be generated. The
> school officials were quite tolerant and we only got a few days of
> detention. Today, I could see newspaper headlines claiming we tried to
> blow up the school.
>
> --
> Peter

I once had a chemistry teacher who, during a particularly boring exam,
busied himself by filling a Pringles potato chips can with some sort of
combustable gas, and then devised a simple igniter / detonator.

Then, he returned to his desk at the front of the class, waited for everyone
to become thoroughly engrossed with the test, and set it off.

Most kids were so stunned, they didn't even scream; others howled and hit
the floor.

He and other teachers chuckled about it for weeks afterwards.

Today, I'm sure he'd have been fired on the spot, maybe even had charges to
deal with...

Humour has changed a lot over the years...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: gumby on
On 08/05/2010 8:02 PM, Peter wrote:

> As a kid I lived in an apartment building. One day I decided to generate
> hydrogen sulfide gas. I also had a war surplus gas mask, so I really had
> no idea of the quantity I generated. Let's just say my neighbors were
> not pleased with my experiments.
> In high school I majored in chemistry. We would run down the halls with
> one guy carrying a gallon of muriatic acid and I would carry a gallon of
> ammonia. We would each leave a trail of our respective liquids and when
> the two combined, clouds of ammonium chloride would be generated. The
> school officials were quite tolerant and we only got a few days of
> detention. Today, I could see newspaper headlines claiming we tried to
> blow up the school.

Heh...yea, do that in this day and age and they will lock you up and
throw the key away.