From: Folderol on
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:04:36 -0000
Justin C <justin.0908(a)purestblue.com> wrote:

> On 2009-10-28, Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> > Justin C <justin.0910(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
> >> I finally decided that I'd upgrade to Lenny. I changed my sources.list
> >> from etch to stable, ran apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade. I
> >> don't know where this loop starts, but here's the loop in which I'm
> >> stuck:
> >
> > Lenny is nasty. If your box works with Etch, I would stick with that. I
> > have had some horrible bugs appear since upgrading to Lenny. Including
> > things like the keyboard stopped working in X, my laser servo diskette
> > drives no longer work, devpts does not mount automatically, and loads of
> > other issues.
>
> That sounds very un-Debian-like. I hope they get that sort of thing
> fixed quickly, it could destroy their reputation.
>
> The items you've mentioned aren't likely to be a problem for me. This
> box is headless, and lives in a cupboard. It's a mail/web/news/file
> server, so no X, no drives other than the HD. devpts hasn't shown itself
> as a problem here yet, so I doubt that it will.
>
> Justin.

@Mark Hobley
Over a period of time I upgraded 4 completely different boxes from etch
to lenny. None of them gave any problems at all. Recently two of them
were further upgraded to squeeze. The only problem I had this time was
with Claws Mail on one of the boxes which worked OK but didn't correctly
update one of its windows. Re-installing just Claws cured this.

I would suggest that there is something unusual about your setup or
your hardware.

--
Will J G
From: Nix on
On 28 Oct 2009, Mark Hobley spake thusly:
> things like the keyboard stopped working in X

Is this intermittent? If so, and you're using kernel 2.6.31.x where x <
5, and you're using either an SMP system or a kernel with either PREEMPT
or PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY defined, then the problem is a locking bug fixed in
2.6.31.5.

> devpts does not mount automatically

I can't imagine what could cause *that* other than something smashing
your /etc/fstab, which seems an unlikely thing for a Debian package to
do. Oh, or kernel problems such that devpts is not built in (very
unlikely: I think you have to enable EMBEDDED to even see the
configuration option these days).

--
`For all I know, I'll be buried in standard-issue sysadmin clothing. And as
I'm being lowered into the ground, somebody will call a halt to the
From: Bruce Stephens on
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> writes:

> On 28 Oct 2009, Mark Hobley spake thusly:
>> things like the keyboard stopped working in X
>
> Is this intermittent? If so, and you're using kernel 2.6.31.x where x <
> 5, and you're using either an SMP system or a kernel with either PREEMPT
> or PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY defined, then the problem is a locking bug fixed in
> 2.6.31.5.

From the sounds of it the OP had a system that wasn't up to date in
etch. I suspect it's recommended somewhere to update fully before
upgrading.

[...]