From: Justin C on
I finally decided that I'd upgrade to Lenny. I changed my sources.list
from etch to stable, ran apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade. I
don't know where this loop starts, but here's the loop in which I'm
stuck:

The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
please add etch sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6
Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb
(--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb

<comment>
At this point I edited my sources.list and included a line for Etch, ran
apt-get update again, then the suggested install line for the kernel
which tells me to be more specific, giving me list of matching packages.
I'm trying: apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6.18-6-686
</comment>

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
initramfs-tools libc6 libselinux1 libvolume-id0 udev
Suggested packages:
locales glibc-doc libc6-i686 linux-doc-2.6.18
Recommended packages:
busybox busybox-initramfs
The following NEW packages will be installed
initramfs-tools libvolume-id0 linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 udev
libc6 libselinux1
2 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 323 not upgraded.
Need to get 16.3MB/21.3MB of archives.
After unpacking 49.0MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get: 1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org etch/main linux-image-2.6.18-6-686
2.6.18.dfsg.1-24 [16.3MB]
Fetched 16.3MB in 53s (306kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 25982 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13etch9+b1 (using
..../archives/libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb) ...
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
Checking init scripts...
WARNING: POSIX threads library NPTL requires kernel version
2.6.8 or later. If you use a kernel 2.4, please upgrade it
before installing glibc.

<comment>
And here we are at the same point in the loop that I started with
</comment>
The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
please add etch sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
apt-get install -t etch linux-image-2.6
Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb

I'd be grateful for any help you can give resolving this. This box was
installed when Woody was stable, and it's just been upgraded since.

I have a feeling that somewhere early in my attempt at this up-grade I
saw a line scroll up the screen saying that the current kernel was being
removed - I may have been given a yes/no choice, but as I've had no
problems before I would have said yes. I think this box may be
un-bootable.

Thank you for your replies.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Justin C on
On 2009-10-24, Paul Martin <pm(a)nowster.org.uk> wrote:
> In article <in9br6-l2k.ln1(a)purestblue.com>,
> Justin C wrote:
>> I finally decided that I'd upgrade to Lenny. I changed my sources.list
>> from etch to stable, ran apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade. I
>> don't know where this loop starts, but here's the loop in which I'm
>> stuck:
>
> Comment out the "lenny" lines in your sources.list, do an "apt-get
> update", then try reinstalling the 2.6 kernel.

That did it. Thank you. I've got another problem now though, I've posted
a new subject.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Mark Hobley on
Justin C <justin.0910(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
> I finally decided that I'd upgrade to Lenny. I changed my sources.list
> from etch to stable, ran apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade. I
> don't know where this loop starts, but here's the loop in which I'm
> stuck:

Lenny is nasty. If your box works with Etch, I would stick with that. I
have had some horrible bugs appear since upgrading to Lenny. Including
things like the keyboard stopped working in X, my laser servo diskette
drives no longer work, devpts does not mount automatically, and loads of
other issues.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Dominic Hargreaves on
Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> Justin C <justin.0910(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
>> I finally decided that I'd upgrade to Lenny. I changed my sources.list
>> from etch to stable, ran apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade. I
>> don't know where this loop starts, but here's the loop in which I'm
>> stuck:
>
> Lenny is nasty. If your box works with Etch, I would stick with that. I
> have had some horrible bugs appear since upgrading to Lenny. Including
> things like the keyboard stopped working in X, my laser servo diskette
> drives no longer work, devpts does not mount automatically, and loads of
> other issues.

For which you have presumably filed bugs?

On the other hand, I've had none of these problems, nor any other
show-stoppers that I can remember, when upgrading from etch to lenny
on a number of systems. Horses for courses...

Recommending that people stick in the mud and continue using etch
indefinitely isn't a wise move, given that at some point it will
become unsupported.

From: Justin C on
On 2009-10-28, Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> Justin C <justin.0910(a)purestblue.com> wrote:
>> I finally decided that I'd upgrade to Lenny. I changed my sources.list
>> from etch to stable, ran apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade. I
>> don't know where this loop starts, but here's the loop in which I'm
>> stuck:
>
> Lenny is nasty. If your box works with Etch, I would stick with that. I
> have had some horrible bugs appear since upgrading to Lenny. Including
> things like the keyboard stopped working in X, my laser servo diskette
> drives no longer work, devpts does not mount automatically, and loads of
> other issues.

That sounds very un-Debian-like. I hope they get that sort of thing
fixed quickly, it could destroy their reputation.

The items you've mentioned aren't likely to be a problem for me. This
box is headless, and lives in a cupboard. It's a mail/web/news/file
server, so no X, no drives other than the HD. devpts hasn't shown itself
as a problem here yet, so I doubt that it will.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.