From: Giorgos Tzampanakis on
On 2010-01-10, Neil Jones <myself(a)dev.null> wrote:

> Also, I want to make the install more complete (development tools, X
> applications, OpenOffice etc). Where do I start on this?

Wasn't openoffice installed by default?

In any case, as others have suggested, you can use a package manager, try
synaptic if you don't want to use the command line. Command line managers
are apt-get and aptitude. If you launch aptitude without arguments you
get an ncurses-style GUI.

> PS - Could you also please list an example of the /etc/apt/sources.list
> file? Should I keep only one repository link or can I have more than
> one? I apologize I have too many questions. Thank you once again.

| deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
| deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
|
| deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
| deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
|
| deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
| deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
|
| #deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny non-free
| #deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny contrib
|
| #deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

I try to keep my installation as stable as possible, so I only plan to uncomment
the last line when it's absolutely necessary. So far I've only done that for
installing Flash Player. When you change the sources.list file, you can run
apt-get update to update your package database.

Remember that uncommenting the last line and installing software from there
means your installation ceases to be considered 'debian stable'.

You can uncomment the 'non-free' and 'contrib' lines if you don't mind
installing non-free (as in freedom) software. For example, you need to do that
to install nvidia's display driver.

Also, be sure to change the 'ftp.uk.debian.org' domain to one that is closer to
you.

Good luck.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
> On 2010-01-10, Neil Jones <myself(a)dev.null> wrote:
>
>> Also, I want to make the install more complete (development tools, X
>> applications, OpenOffice etc). Where do I start on this?
>
> Wasn't openoffice installed by default?
>
> In any case, as others have suggested, you can use a package manager, try
> synaptic if you don't want to use the command line. Command line managers
> are apt-get and aptitude. If you launch aptitude without arguments you
> get an ncurses-style GUI.
>
>> PS - Could you also please list an example of the /etc/apt/sources.list
>> file? Should I keep only one repository link or can I have more than
>> one? I apologize I have too many questions. Thank you once again.
>
> | deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
> | deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
> |
> | deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> | deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> |
> | deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
> | deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
> |
> | #deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny non-free
> | #deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny contrib
> |
> | #deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free
>
> I try to keep my installation as stable as possible, so I only plan to uncomment
> the last line when it's absolutely necessary. So far I've only done that for
> installing Flash Player. When you change the sources.list file, you can run
> apt-get update to update your package database.
>
> Remember that uncommenting the last line and installing software from there
> means your installation ceases to be considered 'debian stable'.

That's not totally true. backports are additions to the stable range not
entry into the testing or unstable regimes in toto.
The only thing I found that really screwed things up was
debian-multimedia.org

From: Giorgos Tzampanakis on
On 2010-01-11, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> That's not totally true. backports are additions to the stable range not
> entry into the testing or unstable regimes in toto.

I got the impression that a system with backports is not considered stable
from http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer, it mentions:

"Be warned: The resulting system can't be considered plain "stable"
anymore."

> The only thing I found that really screwed things up was
> debian-multimedia.org

In what ways did it screw things up?
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
> On 2010-01-11, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> That's not totally true. backports are additions to the stable range not
>> entry into the testing or unstable regimes in toto.
>
> I got the impression that a system with backports is not considered stable
> from http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer, it mentions:
>
> "Be warned: The resulting system can't be considered plain "stable"
> anymore."
>
>> The only thing I found that really screwed things up was
>> debian-multimedia.org
>
> In what ways did it screw things up?

I cannot quite remember. I THINK it was a question of pulling in
outdated libraries that conflicted with later ones.
From: lrhorer on
Neil Jones wrote:

> I have installed Debian Linux for the first time on my new Eeepc
> (1005HA
> to be exact). It was not an easy install.

Why not? I've found Debian to be among the easiest of installs, as
long as the Ethernet port is recognized by the installer (even if one
employs the DVD based install, rather than a netinst version). I
heartily suggest anyone who attempts to install Debian on a machine
with a network card not recognized by the installer temporarily install
a NIC which is recognized by the installer.

> I do have the network (eth0) connection and did perform "aptitude
> update" and "aptitude upgrade". Now I want to install wicd Network
> Manager, so that I can configure the WLAN. When I execute "aptitude
> wicd" the message say nothing exists in the repository. Are there any
> other tools that I can use to configure wireless LAN?

Well, you could download a .deb file and load it manually into your apt
application (whichever one you use). If it isn't in the repository or
on your hard drive (or network), then no apt application will find it.
You could also obtain the source package and compile from source.

> Also, I want to make the install more complete (development tools, X
> applications, OpenOffice etc). Where do I start on this?

If you want to use X, then you should have selected a Desktop install
when you ran the install routine. The default display manager is
Gnome, but I prefer KDE. I find KPackage, the KDE Package manager, to
be very easy to use and very powerful. I find it much more intuitive
than Synaptic. Of course, now that you have Debin already installed,
you can get KDE by simply typing `apt-get install kde`. During
installation, under Advanced Options, one may select KDE as an
alternative to Gnome.