From: Neil Jones on
I have installed Debian Linux for the first time on my new Eeepc (1005HA
to be exact). It was not an easy install.

I do have the network (eth0) connection and did perform "aptitude
update" and "aptitude upgrade". Now I want to install wicd Network
Manager, so that I can configure the WLAN. When I execute "aptitude
wicd" the message say nothing exists in the repository. Are there any
other tools that I can use to configure wireless LAN?

Also, I want to make the install more complete (development tools, X
applications, OpenOffice etc). Where do I start on this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

NJ

PS - Could you also please list an example of the /etc/apt/sources.list
file? Should I keep only one repository link or can I have more than
one? I apologize I have too many questions. Thank you once again.
From: samhas on
Hello,

> I do have the network (eth0) connection and did perform "aptitude
> update" and "aptitude upgrade".  Now I want to install wicd Network
> Manager, so that I can configure the WLAN.  When I execute "aptitude
> wicd" the message say nothing exists in the repository.  Are there any
> other tools that I can use to configure wireless LAN?

the best tool I know is wpa_supplicant - very good documentation, and
you can adabt it flexibly to your needs (not only wpa and wpa2
networks, but also wep, wired connections with 802.1X standart etc.).
It has a frontend wpa_cli, but I've never tested it.

> Also, I want to make the install more complete (development tools, X
> applications, OpenOffice etc).  Where do I start on this?

with "aptitude search somename" you can search the package database
for applications you want to install.
Perhaps http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html
might be useful for you...

samhas
From: Mark Hobley on
In comp.os.linux.misc Neil Jones <myself(a)dev.null> wrote:
> I have installed Debian Linux for the first time on my new Eeepc (1005HA
> to be exact). It was not an easy install.
> When I execute "aptitude wicd" the message say nothing exists in the
> repository.

That package is in unstable. You need to add sources for the unstable
repository to install that.

> Also, I want to make the install more complete (development tools, X
> applications, OpenOffice etc). Where do I start on this?

Damn, I had some pages on this specifically for Debian. Unfortunately, I
am phasing out Debian here, so I think some of these have been wiped. I did
copy them to the Debian Wiki a while ago, but I think they disappeared.

I've got some notes:

These are things to do once the system has booted for the first time:

Create a user account for normal use

Install a text editor
- nano
- levee

Configure the network interface

Install the networking tools

Install the system management tools

Install the file management tools

Install the decompression tools

Install the backup tools

Install the development tools
- http://markhobley.yi.org/gnu/toolchain/components.html

Install the heirloom replacement tools
- There are some bugs in GNU tar, which I have to work around here

Install the audio tools

Install a newsreader
- tin

Install an ICQ client

Install the X windows system

Install the cups printing system

Install the X editing tools
- leafpad

Install a word processor
- abiword

Install a thumbnail viewer
- gqview

> PS - Could you also please list an example of the /etc/apt/sources.list
> file?

#
# This is the apt source file
#

#deb file:///cdrom/ lenny main

#deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb ftp://mirrors.virginmedia.com/sites/ftp.debian.org/ squeeze main contrib non-free

#deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://mirrors.virginmedia.com/sites/ftp.debian.org/ squeeze main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian-volatile/ squeeze/volatile main
#deb ftp://mirrors.virginmedia.com/sites/ftp.debian.org/ squeeze/volatile main

deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
#deb ftp://mirrors.virginmedia.com/sites/ftp.debian.org/ unstable main contrib non-free

#deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://mirrors.virginmedia.com/sites/ftp.debian.org/ unstable main contrib on-free

deb http://www.backports.org/debian squeeze-backports main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.debian-unofficial.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free restricted
deb-src http://ftp.debian-unofficial.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free restricted

> Should I keep only one repository link or can I have more than one?

You can have more than one.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: mechanic on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:08:02 GMT, Mark Hobley wrote:

[wicd]
> That package is in unstable. You need to add sources for the
> unstable repository to install that.

And in Lenny-backports, and in squeeze(testing).

And the OP would be well advised to go to forums.eeeuser.com for
more info on the specifics of the 1005HA.

--
mechanic
From: ray on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:16:07 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:

> I have installed Debian Linux for the first time on my new Eeepc (1005HA
> to be exact). It was not an easy install.
>
> I do have the network (eth0) connection and did perform "aptitude
> update" and "aptitude upgrade". Now I want to install wicd Network
> Manager, so that I can configure the WLAN. When I execute "aptitude
> wicd" the message say nothing exists in the repository. Are there any
> other tools that I can use to configure wireless LAN?

Sounds like it's already working - what else is there to configure?

> Also, I want to make the install more complete (development tools, X
> applications, OpenOffice etc). Where do I start on this?

synaptic is an easy to use GUI package manager - I'd start there.