From: Neil Jones on
Last week I got a new Asus EeePC 1005HA. My goal was to install Debian
on it which some users claim is the best distro for a netbook. Yes, I
did read their wiki, printed instructions and on and on. A week later,
I could only get wired network working. Later I tried Slackware and
Fedora, where only the wired network works (on Fedora). The only
successful distro was Ubuntu which of all the reason is not my favorite
distribution. I prefer a "root" user accont for administrative tasks
and not type in the password for each package install.

Ok, enough of venting. Now I want to know which hardware vendors are
most Linux friendly?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards,

NJ

PS - I have been using Linux since 92. My preffered distribution is
Slackware.
From: jeff on
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:13:55 +0100
Neil Jones <myself(a)dev.null> wrote:

> Last week I got a new Asus EeePC 1005HA. My goal was to install
> Debian on it which some users claim is the best distro for a
> netbook. Yes, I did read their wiki, printed instructions and on and
> on. A week later, I could only get wired network working. Later I
> tried Slackware and Fedora, where only the wired network works (on
> Fedora). The only successful distro was Ubuntu which of all the
> reason is not my favorite distribution. I prefer a "root" user
> accont for administrative tasks and not type in the password for each
> package install.

Ubuntu, like pretty much every Linux distro, comes with a root
account. If you prefer to use this for admin tasks, just use "sudo
passwd" to assign a password for root. When I use Ubuntu, though, I
don't bother with that, preferring to just "sudo su -" into root -
which I usually do now in any distro I happen to be using.

From: Tecknode on
Neil Jones wrote:
> Last week I got a new Asus EeePC 1005HA. My goal was to install Debian
> on it which some users claim is the best distro for a netbook. Yes, I
> did read their wiki, printed instructions and on and on. A week later,
> I could only get wired network working. Later I tried Slackware and
> Fedora, where only the wired network works (on Fedora). The only
> successful distro was Ubuntu which of all the reason is not my favorite
> distribution. I prefer a "root" user accont for administrative tasks
> and not type in the password for each package install.
>
> Ok, enough of venting. Now I want to know which hardware vendors are
> most Linux friendly?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Regards,
>
> NJ
>
> PS - I have been using Linux since 92. My preffered distribution is
> Slackware.

The Notebook PC I am using as we "speak" is from "Linux Certified"
which specializes in Linux Laptop/Desktops.

See: http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2100sn.html

I chose this model because it has a DVD+RW. Included the WiFi option.
I choose Ubuntu (they now install Ubuntu 9.10).

I note that the actual Notebook is a "Clevo M722T" which I expect is
Linux friendly.
From: notbob on
On 2010-01-11, Neil Jones <myself(a)dev.null> wrote:
> Last week I got a new Asus EeePC 1005HA.

You ain't alone! ;)

> I could only get wired network working. Later I tried Slackware and
> Fedora, where only the wired network works (on Fedora). The only
> successful distro was Ubuntu.....

Doh! Ubuntu doesn't give you anything more than Slackware. Linux is
linux! If ubuntu can do it, so can slackware.

> PS - I have been using Linux since 92. My preffered distribution is
> Slackware.

Then you should know what I say (above) is true. If not, hang in
there. I'm researching dual booting my 1005HA XP eee with Slack 13
and, so far, I've not seen anything that would make me believe it's
not possible. I could be wrong, but am not discouraged.

Installing Slack on regular desktop XP machine for dual boot is pretty straight
forward. Change BIOS to "boot from CD" and go for it. The only thing
I always do, jes to make sure, is do an "fdisk /mbr" before booting the
Slackware install media (I've always used CDs). Then, you boot the
Slackware install disk, (c)fdisk to set up an linux partition, and
then run setup. The 1005HA has a real BIOS (F2) and a real HDD. I
don't see any differences.

The only prob is a media device. I've never done it from anything but
a CD, so I need a CD player, which eee doesn't come with. Guess what.
Asus make those, too. $60 for an Asus external DVD/CD player/recorder
and almost custom tailored for the eee. Excellent. Since it also
burns DVDs, even better. I'll be ordering shortly (newegg.com).

I've not found all the info I'd like, but I'm working on it. Stay
tuned.

nb
From: ray on
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:13:55 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:

> Last week I got a new Asus EeePC 1005HA. My goal was to install Debian
> on it which some users claim is the best distro for a netbook. Yes, I
> did read their wiki, printed instructions and on and on. A week later,
> I could only get wired network working. Later I tried Slackware and
> Fedora, where only the wired network works (on Fedora). The only
> successful distro was Ubuntu which of all the reason is not my favorite
> distribution. I prefer a "root" user accont for administrative tasks
> and not type in the password for each package install.
>
> Ok, enough of venting. Now I want to know which hardware vendors are
> most Linux friendly?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Regards,
>
> NJ
>
> PS - I have been using Linux since 92. My preffered distribution is
> Slackware.

1) I had zero difficulty installing Debian from the Debian eeepc wiki on
my wife's eeepc last Christmas. Simply copied the net install to a flash
drive and installed. Wireless worked from the outset.

2) if that's how you want to administer, it's a very simple matter to set
a root password on Ubuntu.