From: The Natural Philosopher on
ray wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:13:55 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:
>
>> Last week I got a new Asus EeePC 1005HA. My goal was to install Debian
>> on it which some users claim is the best distro for a netbook. Yes, I
>> did read their wiki, printed instructions and on and on. A week later,
>> I could only get wired network working. Later I tried Slackware and
>> Fedora, where only the wired network works (on Fedora). The only
>> successful distro was Ubuntu which of all the reason is not my favorite
>> distribution. I prefer a "root" user accont for administrative tasks
>> and not type in the password for each package install.
>>
>> Ok, enough of venting. Now I want to know which hardware vendors are
>> most Linux friendly?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any help.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> NJ
>>
>> PS - I have been using Linux since 92. My preffered distribution is
>> Slackware.
>
> 1) I had zero difficulty installing Debian from the Debian eeepc wiki on
> my wife's eeepc last Christmas. Simply copied the net install to a flash
> drive and installed. Wireless worked from the outset.
>

> 2) if that's how you want to administer, it's a very simple matter to set
> a root password on Ubuntu.

Not sure how it works, but once you have set up a default password in
the GUI keyring thing, you can use most of the GUI admin tools without
keying in a password - Debian again.
From: Allodoxaphobia on
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:13:55 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:

> Ok, enough of venting. Now I want to know which hardware vendors are
> most Linux friendly?

http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php

Disclosure: I am recent customer (Terra A20 Ubuntu Netbook)

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
From: Michael Black on
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Neil Jones wrote:

> Last week I got a new Asus EeePC 1005HA. My goal was to install Debian on it
> which some users claim is the best distro for a netbook. Yes, I did read
> their wiki, printed instructions and on and on. A week later, I could only
> get wired network working. Later I tried Slackware and Fedora, where only
> the wired network works (on Fedora). The only successful distro was Ubuntu
> which of all the reason is not my favorite distribution. I prefer a "root"
> user accont for administrative tasks and not type in the password for each
> package install.
>
> Ok, enough of venting. Now I want to know which hardware vendors are most
> Linux friendly?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Regards,
>
> NJ
>
> PS - I have been using Linux since 92. My preffered distribution is
> Slackware.

But you don't really understand Linux.

Linux won't work with some hardware, because it's either too new to have
been incorporated into the latest release, or the manufacturer won't
release information about it. In the latter case, sometimes nobody will
ever bother to create a driver, while in others someone will make the
effort to uncover what is needed to control that hardware and then the
driver appears.

The "most Linux friendly hardware" is thus most likely older.

But once the the drivers for the software is available, then it's
available across all the distributions. No distribution works better
with given hardware, since at the core they all use the same kernel.

What does matter is that a given distribution may not yet include
the latest kernel release. That depends on when the latest release
comes out.

Which means a distribution with frequent releases is likely to appear
to be better than one that comes out less often. The reality is that
with the next release, the slower distribution is bound to be in the
same place.

And you'll see this. Ubuntu is a popular distribution, either because
a new release comes fairly often, or maybe the popularity has caused
more frequent releases. It will work better than Slackware, which often
has only one release a year.

Yet, when netbooks first came out, Slackware had its problems on them,
while with the next release of Slackware, things were better. The catch
up continues, though that's offset by new hardware coming out that
requires more catchup.

Michael

From: Mumia W. on
On 01/11/2010 05:13 PM, Neil Jones wrote:
> Last week I got a new Asus EeePC 1005HA. My goal was to install Debian
> on it which some users claim is the best distro for a netbook. Yes, I
> did read their wiki, printed instructions and on and on. A week later,
> I could only get wired network working. Later I tried Slackware and
> Fedora, where only the wired network works (on Fedora). The only
> successful distro was Ubuntu which of all the reason is not my favorite
> distribution. I prefer a "root" user accont for administrative tasks
> and not type in the password for each package install.
>
> Ok, enough of venting. Now I want to know which hardware vendors are
> most Linux friendly?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Regards,
>
> NJ
>
> PS - I have been using Linux since 92. My preffered distribution is
> Slackware.

You do know that enabling the root account in Ubuntu is as easy as
enabling the password and then setting the password, right? This is from
memory:

sudo -i
passwd -u
passwd
<type in your new password>

BTW, the root account is enabled in my Ubuntu.
[ followups to comp.os.linux.misc ]
From: notbob on
On 2010-01-12, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Michael Black wrote:

>> Linux won't work with some hardware, because.....

> This is the key point.

It might be if Asus didn't offer this very same netbook with Linux.

http://event.asus.com/eeepc/comparison/eeepc_comparison.htm

Slackware also offers an official 64bit version, now. I've heard
of no hardware complaints.

nb