From: Colin Watters on

"dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
> Charles wrote:
>
>> But since I retired, a paid service is not worthwhile. So I use
>> google, ...
>
> There are quite a few free servers
>
> news.aioe.org
> news.eternal-september.org
>
> being two.

I have tried both of these. Aoie looked promising at first, but then over
Christmas most of CLF dissappeared from the server. Eternal-September
meanwhile shows me posts back to 09 nov 2009, and nothing has dissappeared
(so-far!) since then. I use Outlook Express.

I have seen exactly one spam posting on Eternal September in about a month
of usage. (Contrast this with a typical of 10 a day on my ISP's native news
server.)

--
Qolin

Email: my qname at domain dot com
Domain: qomputing

From: carolus on
Colin Watters wrote:
>> There are quite a few free servers
>>
>> news.aioe.org
>> news.eternal-september.org
>>
>> being two.
>
> I have tried both of these. Aoie looked promising at first, but then over
> Christmas most of CLF dissappeared from the server. Eternal-September
> meanwhile shows me posts back to 09 nov 2009, and nothing has dissappeared
> (so-far!) since then.

Thanks. I am trying eternal-septermber. There are around 30 spam
messages today on comp.lang.fortran, and 8 from 1/13, but older messages
seem pretty clean. How can that happen without human intervention?

It beats google groups, anyway.

The bayesian spam filter in Thunderbird works pretty well for e-mail,
but if there is any way to apply it to newsgroups I haven't found it. I
suppose that would require downloading every message. Are there any mail
readers that can usefully filter newsgroups?
From: dpb on
carolus wrote:

> Thanks. I am trying eternal-septermber. There are around 30 spam
> messages today on comp.lang.fortran, and 8 from 1/13, but older messages
> seem pretty clean. How can that happen without human intervention?
I didn't see but a couple on c.l.f today.

It appears they have a autobot that runs and expires identified spam
from their server. I routinely get a "expired message" indicator on
such posts. If I remember I can run the "delete expired messages"
function first but there are few enough can simply use the "mark ignore
thread" function quicker as leaf thru...

From: Craig Powers on
carolus wrote:
> Colin Watters wrote:
>>> There are quite a few free servers
>>>
>>> news.aioe.org
>>> news.eternal-september.org
>>>
>>> being two.
>>
>> I have tried both of these. Aoie looked promising at first, but then
>> over Christmas most of CLF dissappeared from the server.
>> Eternal-September meanwhile shows me posts back to 09 nov 2009, and
>> nothing has dissappeared (so-far!) since then.
>
> Thanks. I am trying eternal-septermber. There are around 30 spam
> messages today on comp.lang.fortran, and 8 from 1/13, but older messages
> seem pretty clean. How can that happen without human intervention?

There's a lot of automated spam detection and swatting stuff running out
there. (Or rather, there was when I paid attention to such things, and
I assume it's still going.) I would assume that Eternal September is a
lot more amenable to accepting the assistance than Google is.
From: Aris on
dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:
> carolus wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I am trying eternal-septermber. There are around 30 spam
>> messages today on comp.lang.fortran, and 8 from 1/13, but older messages
>> seem pretty clean. How can that happen without human intervention?
> I didn't see but a couple on c.l.f today.
>
> It appears they have a autobot that runs and expires identified spam
> from their server. I routinely get a "expired message" indicator on
> such posts. If I remember I can run the "delete expired messages"
> function first but there are few enough can simply use the "mark ignore
> thread" function quicker as leaf thru...

Bleachbot cancels spam on usenet, but it is up to the newsserver to
accept these cancels. Google doesn't accept.