From: Terence on
On Jan 7, 9:38 pm, Phillip Helbig wrote:

> Terence <tbwri...(a)cantv.net> writes:
> > Note the decline in monthly posting counts from 2009 on.
> > And a very large proportion that year is spam.
> > The trend downwards is statistically significant.
>
> Rubbish.

(omitted)

> Give me a break.  Get a REAL newsreader.  See the quote of the day
> below.

I have to reply to this comment:
In the real world, you can only use a newsreader on an Internet
service that offers the facility. And if there is only one service and
no newsreaders (e.g. because is govenment-owned and censored, there is
no choice.

So no newsreader service equates to 10% bread, 90% spam.

And I MODERATE a moderated Fortran Forum and no spam gets through.

From: Colin Watters on

"Terence" <tbwright(a)cantv.net> wrote in message news:a93d7fa2-3ae4
-4d09-b572-6bc7daeb734b(a)h2g2000yqj.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 7, 9:38 pm, Phillip Helbig wrote:
>
> > Terence <tbwri...(a)cantv.net> writes:
> > > Note the decline in monthly posting counts from 2009 on.
> > > And a very large proportion that year is spam.
> > > The trend downwards is statistically significant.
> >
> > Rubbish.
> >
> (omitted)
> >
> > Give me a break. Get a REAL newsreader. See the quote of the day
> > below.
> >

> I have to reply to this comment:
> In the real world, you can only use a newsreader on an Internet
> service that offers the facility. And if there is only one service and
> no newsreaders (e.g. because is govenment-owned and censored, there is
> no choice.

Erm ... Surely if you have an Internet Service, you can choose to connect
(via a newsreader, not a browser) to ANY news server
on the internet that allows you to do so. You don't need the permission or
co-operation of your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Yes, that ISP may or
may not
have a news server, but you aren't forced to use it if they do, and you
aren't out of options if they don't.

I connect through Demon/Thus in UK. They have a news server that faithfully
serves up all the spam you seem to see. Hence I have stopped using it and,
having tried
a number of others, have settled (for the moment) on Eternal-September.

What prevents you from doing the same?

Qolin

Email: my qname at domain dot com
Domain: qomputing

From: Phillip Helbig---undress to reply on
In article <hjad6c$pvg$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "Colin Watters"
<boss(a)qomputing.com> writes:

> Erm ... Surely if you have an Internet Service, you can choose to connect
> (via a newsreader, not a browser) to ANY news server
> on the internet that allows you to do so.

But there are few which allow one to do so for a reasonable cost if they
are not associated witht he ISP. Also, the ISP has to allow traffic
through the relevant ports.

From: user1 on
Terence wrote:
> On Jan 7, 9:38 pm, Phillip Helbig wrote:
>
>> Terence<tbwri...(a)cantv.net> writes:
>>> Note the decline in monthly posting counts from 2009 on.
>>> And a very large proportion that year is spam.
>>> The trend downwards is statistically significant.
>>
>> Rubbish.
>>
> (omitted)
>>
>> Give me a break. Get a REAL newsreader. See the quote of the day
>> below.
>>

> I have to reply to this comment:
> In the real world, you can only use a newsreader on an Internet
> service that offers the facility. And if there is only one service and
> no newsreaders (e.g. because is govenment-owned and censored, there is
> no choice.
>
> So no newsreader service equates to 10% bread, 90% spam.
>
> And I MODERATE a moderated Fortran Forum and no spam gets through.

I suspect this is rubbish.

I notice that Robin seems to be posting through a news server, and that
he is in the same country as you, with probably the same ISP
(Telstra/Bigpond). Perhaps you could do it also if you made the effort.

From: Terence on
On Jan 23, 6:14 am, user1 <us...(a)example.net> wrote:

> I notice that Robin seems to be posting through a news server, and that
> he is in the same country as you, with probably the same ISP
> (Telstra/Bigpond). Perhaps you could do it also if you made the effort.

Reply:-
1) See my above normal e-mail user address - Venezuela.
2) As a visitor to Australia, I HAVE access though a "bigpond"
account, but NOT the same service as Robin; there are several; the
distinction is shown by the qualifier group after "bigpond". (.net.au
or .com). My service is e-mail with some limited browsing and no
usenet service (and a strange browser). I noticed a posting in alt.asm
where that user and others point out that their services, also, do not
offer usenet.