From: user1 on
Terence wrote:

>> I notice that Robin seems to be posting through a news server, and that
>> he is in the same country as you, with probably the same ISP
>> (Telstra/Bigpond). Perhaps you could do it also if you made the effort.
>
> Reply:-
> 1) See my above normal e-mail user address - Venezuela.
> 2) As a visitor to Australia, I HAVE access though a "bigpond"
> account, but NOT the same service as Robin; there are several; the
> distinction is shown by the qualifier group after "bigpond". (.net.au
> or .com). My service is e-mail with some limited browsing and no
> usenet service (and a strange browser). I noticed a posting in alt.asm
> where that user and others point out that their services, also, do not
> offer usenet.

OK. Sounds painful. There are certainly other reasons why a person might
use the Google interface, and why we wish they could improve it. (
anybody browsing through a cellular device ?)

From: carolus on
carolus wrote:
I am trying eternal-septermber. There are around 30 spam
> messages today on comp.lang.fortran, and 8 from 1/13, but older messages
> seem pretty clean.

Curiously, my other 4 new subscriptions on eternal-september seem
totally spam-free (comp.unix.shell, sci.math.num-anal, sci.stat.math,
sci.math.symbolic, comp.soft-sys.math.scilab). I wonder what is
different about comp.lang.fortran?
From: Colin Watters on

"carolus" <worNOSPAMPLEASEwor(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> carolus wrote:
> I am trying eternal-septermber. There are around 30 spam
>> messages today on comp.lang.fortran, and 8 from 1/13, but older messages
>> seem pretty clean.
>
> Curiously, my other 4 new subscriptions on eternal-september seem totally
> spam-free (comp.unix.shell, sci.math.num-anal, sci.stat.math,
> sci.math.symbolic, comp.soft-sys.math.scilab). I wonder what is
> different about comp.lang.fortran?

E-S has been totally spam free for me in about 6 weeks of clf usage, with 2
exceptions: one about 3 weeks ago, and another just 5 minutes ago.

I wonder why others users of the same newsgroup from the same server have
different experiences.

Maybe the spam is added to the server whenever it arrives, then discarded
once per day (or however often) when the spam identification software is
run. So the spam count you see depends on how recently the spam cleaner
has run compared to when you connect.

Well its just a theory...

--
Qolin

Email: my qname at domain dot com
Domain: qomputing

From: Terence on
On Jan 24, 7:09 am, carolus <worNOSPAMPLEASE...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> carolus wrote:
>
>    I am trying eternal-septermber.  There are around 30 spam
>
> > messages today on comp.lang.fortran, and 8 from 1/13, but older messages
> > seem pretty clean.
>
> Curiously, my other 4 new subscriptions on eternal-september seem
> totally spam-free (comp.unix.shell, sci.math.num-anal, sci.stat.math,
> sci.math.symbolic, comp.soft-sys.math.scilab).  I wonder what is
> different about comp.lang.fortran?

Historical propularity based on published monthly counts. Which is
were we came it...
The others mention are much lower-volume forums (I'm a member of some
of those mentioned).