From: Colin Wilson on
> Have a look at MyDefrag, formerly called JKDefrag.
> You can google it, read and see what you think.
> I have used for more than two years am well pleased.
> It is also free.

I'll second this one, although i'm not keen on the new interface -
i've been using it for about 3 years now without any issues, and I
haven't heard of anyone else having problems with it either.

Per the windows API for defragging, it uses it according to the
documentation.
From: RnR on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:40:15 -0000, Colin Wilson <nospam(a)nospam.com>
wrote:

>> Have a look at MyDefrag, formerly called JKDefrag.
>> You can google it, read and see what you think.
>> I have used for more than two years am well pleased.
>> It is also free.
>
>I'll second this one, although i'm not keen on the new interface -
>i've been using it for about 3 years now without any issues, and I
>haven't heard of anyone else having problems with it either.
>
>Per the windows API for defragging, it uses it according to the
>documentation.

I must be the only one havng a problem with it. After I get
defragged using Defraggler (I paused it by accident last nite so I
have to wait a bit longer), I want to see if it will run on my system.
Since I have zero bad sectors, I'm assuming it has a problem with my
multiple layers of protection. For whatever reason, Defraggler had
no problem with my system but MyDefrag did. Not sure why right now.
From: RnR on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 05:14:34 -0600, "RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:40:15 -0000, Colin Wilson <nospam(a)nospam.com>
>wrote:
>
>>> Have a look at MyDefrag, formerly called JKDefrag.
>>> You can google it, read and see what you think.
>>> I have used for more than two years am well pleased.
>>> It is also free.
>>
>>I'll second this one, although i'm not keen on the new interface -
>>i've been using it for about 3 years now without any issues, and I
>>haven't heard of anyone else having problems with it either.
>>
>>Per the windows API for defragging, it uses it according to the
>>documentation.
>

>I must be the only one havng a problem with it. After I get
>defragged using Defraggler (I paused it by accident last nite so I
>have to wait a bit longer), I want to see if it will run on my system.
>Since I have zero bad sectors, I'm assuming it has a problem with my
>multiple layers of protection. For whatever reason, Defraggler had
>no problem with my system but MyDefrag did. Not sure why right now.

I think I found out why MyDefrag won't run on my system. Apparently
my Outpost software doesn't like it. I downloaded the MyDefrag from
filehippo.com and that should be a reliable source but I'm getting a
lot of hits on my Outpost software about trojans using MyDefrag so I
decided to stop it. The moment I did, so did the warning messages
from Outpost. Of course these could be false positives. I decided to
uninstall again MyDefrag. One thing I did notice, it was the only
defragmentation software that seemed to alter critical registry files
upon installation per warning messages unlike the others. Since I've
used the Defraggler and a trial version of the lastest Diskeeper with
no problems. I think I prefer Defraggler to Diskeeper. Anyway I
didn't take any benchmarks before or after so my conclusion is
unscientific but to my eye, I can barely notice any difference and
this is on a partition that was 3/4 full and about 46% fragmented to
start (zero bad sectors).

And as I said before, many think now defragging is a waste of time. I
agree for the average user. I also agree with Ben in "some"
instances, it may not be.... ie- servers, large files with frequent
access to, specialized programs, etc... . That said, it can't hurt
to run a defragger as far as I know. I think I'll keep Defraggler
around my system for now and trash diskeeper <g>.
From: Monica on
Thanks guys. In all the years I've been reading newsgroups for help, this
one remains my favorite :)
I obsess over filling up my hard drive so after nearly a year I still have
281GB free of a 300GB hdd.
My backup drives...now that's a different story. The one with the most used
space is down to 48gb
free out of 150gb drive. At what point should I stop adding to it?
As for defragging, I think I'll try one of the ones suggested on the backup
drive that's pretty full.
My C drive, I think I'll just leave as is for right now. Like others
mentioned, I don't see a difference
after defragging anyway and I'm not having any problems with it.
Monica

From: Daddy on
Monica wrote:
> Thanks guys. In all the years I've been reading newsgroups for help, this
> one remains my favorite :)
> I obsess over filling up my hard drive so after nearly a year I still have
> 281GB free of a 300GB hdd.
> My backup drives...now that's a different story. The one with the most used
> space is down to 48gb
> free out of 150gb drive. At what point should I stop adding to it?
> As for defragging, I think I'll try one of the ones suggested on the backup
> drive that's pretty full.
> My C drive, I think I'll just leave as is for right now. Like others
> mentioned, I don't see a difference
> after defragging anyway and I'm not having any problems with it.
> Monica
>

> "Hank Arnold" <rasilon(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>> On 2/15/2010 1:21 PM, Monica wrote:
>>> I've always used Window's defrag program. This is adequate or can
>>> I/Should
>>> I be using something better?
>>> A newsletter I got today mentioned a program called UltraDefrag. It's
>>> free
>>> so maybe it's worth what it costs<g>
>>> What would you guys suggest?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Monica
>>>

>> I've been using UltraDefrag for a while. It's good and works fast. A lot
>> faster than the built in XP defrag....
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hank Arnold
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Server - Directory Services
>> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

Why do you obsess over filling your hard drive? A full hard drive
doesn't make a computer run any worse than an empty hard drive, as long
as you have enough space for your software to run.

It makes no sense to buy a 300GB hard drive (probably sold as a 320GB
hard drive) and then to be afraid to use more than a fraction of its
capacity.

No one can decide for you how many generations of backup to keep. That's
entirely your decision, based on your comfort level.

For example: I backup my system partition daily and maintain the most
recent seven backups. But that's me. Other people may have different
ideas. What works for you?

Daddy