From: Christian on
Hi all,

On an Exchange 2007 SP1 server, I've moved some mailboxes to another mailbox
database on another SG on the same server. But the source database didn't
shrink at all, though a full backup was performed afterwards. According to
the docs, it looks like I'll have to umount then run eseutil /D against it
to get back some free space (35Gb according to eventid 1221).

Is there any magic equation to have roughly the amount of time this
operation will take ? The database to defragment is 180Gb.

Thanks.

Christian

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:06:15 +0100, "Christian" <cgregoir99(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>On an Exchange 2007 SP1 server, I've moved some mailboxes to another mailbox
>database on another SG on the same server. But the source database didn't
>shrink at all, though a full backup was performed afterwards. According to
>the docs, it looks like I'll have to umount then run eseutil /D against it
>to get back some free space (35Gb according to eventid 1221).
>
>Is there any magic equation to have roughly the amount of time this
>operation will take ? The database to defragment is 180Gb.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Christian

No.
No.
Do not defragment.
Create another store and move everyone equally across the two. Then
dismount and delete the original store. Exchange 2007 stores are
perfectly fine at 100GB or more.
You have no need what so ever to defrag that store.
From: Fritz on
It's hard to tell because it depends on the following factors:
1. How badly fragmented the database is. If it's in 200 pieces then it
won't take as long as if it it's in 95,000 pieces.
2. How fast the CPU and the RAM in your server are
3. The performance of your storage (RAID?)

In any case, I'd plan to do this over a weekend. eseutil could litterally
take all weekend to run even if you start on a Friday night.

J.

From: Fritz on
BTW.
You could always quit if you notice that eseutil is taking too long to run.
It shows you progress.

From: Christian on
>>Hi all,
>>
>>On an Exchange 2007 SP1 server, I've moved some mailboxes to another
>>mailbox
>>database on another SG on the same server. But the source database didn't
>>shrink at all, though a full backup was performed afterwards. According to
>>the docs, it looks like I'll have to umount then run eseutil /D against it
>>to get back some free space (35Gb according to eventid 1221).
>>
>>Is there any magic equation to have roughly the amount of time this
>>operation will take ? The database to defragment is 180Gb.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Christian
>>
> No.
> No.
> Do not defragment.
> Create another store and move everyone equally across the two. Then
> dismount and delete the original store. Exchange 2007 stores are
> perfectly fine at 100GB or more.
> You have no need what so ever to defrag that store.

That's what I plan : scater mailboxes among different SG/DB rather than only
one SG. But I didn't expect the DB to not shrink. And the problem is that
there isn't enough free space on disk, only 55Gb left. I have an external
270Gb USB drive but I'm not keen on temporarily using it for that purpose.

What's your advice ?