From: Jbm on
Hi,
I checked out the archives for close to an hour, but I couldn't figure out
how to change the codes given there to suit my needs.
I have a large set of data, from about A1 to X441. In column X, there are a
lot of exact duplicates, and I need to delete the rows where those duplicates
are (but still leaving the first instance of the duplicate). For example:

John Smith Oxford St.
John Johnson Oxford St.
John Johnson Rubble St.
John Smith Oxford St.

All of those have things in common, but I only want to delete the final row
(and the whole row, not just the cell), because it is an exact duplicate.
How do I code for this? Excel 2007.
Thanks,
Jbm
From: Gord Dibben on
Select column X

2003 Data>Filter>Advanced Filter>Uniques only.

Copy to another place.

2007 Data>Remove Duplicates.

Unselect all. Select only column X and remove.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: Don Guillett on
Another way that does not copy elsewhere IF? sorting is allowed. Assumes all
text in ONE cell??
'==
Option Explicit
Sub SortAndDeleteDuplicatesSAS()
Dim mc As Long
Dim i As Long
mc = 1 'column A
Columns(mc).Sort Key1:=Cells(1, mc), Order1:=xlAscending, _
Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False,Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
For i = Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1
If Cells(i - 1, mc) = Cells(i, mc) Then Rows(i).Delete
Next i
End Sub
'====
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

From: Steve on
=?Utf-8?B?SmJt?= <Jbm(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi,
> I checked out the archives for close to an hour, but I couldn't figure
> out how to change the codes given there to suit my needs.
> I have a large set of data, from about A1 to X441. In column X, there
> are a lot of exact duplicates, and I need to delete the rows where
> those duplicates are (but still leaving the first instance of the
> duplicate). For example:
>
> John Smith Oxford St.
> John Johnson Oxford St.
> John Johnson Rubble St.
> John Smith Oxford St.
>
> All of those have things in common, but I only want to delete the
> final row (and the whole row, not just the cell), because it is an
> exact duplicate. How do I code for this? Excel 2007.
> Thanks,
> Jbm

Make a backup first just in case the results are not what you expect.

Excel 2007 select the whole sheet ctrl+a, goto data>data tools>remove
duplicates, in the dialogue box click unselect all and then select row X
click ok this will remove the whole row A-X where X is a duplicate.

Regards
Steve
From: ryguy7272 on
Well, those are not all duplicates, so what is the logic?
John Smith Oxford St. = John Smith Oxford St.
However, John Smith Oxford St. <> John Johnson Oxford St.

Take a look at this:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

Maybe you will have to run through the data a couple times, but that should
do what you want.

--
Ryan---

"Jbm" wrote:

> Hi,
> I checked out the archives for close to an hour, but I couldn't figure out
> how to change the codes given there to suit my needs.
> I have a large set of data, from about A1 to X441. In column X, there are a
> lot of exact duplicates, and I need to delete the rows where those duplicates
> are (but still leaving the first instance of the duplicate). For example:
>
> John Smith Oxford St.
> John Johnson Oxford St.
> John Johnson Rubble St.
> John Smith Oxford St.
>
> All of those have things in common, but I only want to delete the final row
> (and the whole row, not just the cell), because it is an exact duplicate.
> How do I code for this? Excel 2007.
> Thanks,
> Jbm
 |  Next  |  Last