From: Gary Baldi on
On Dec 26, 9:48 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> Occasional client of mine bought a pair of Dell Inspiron 1545 laptops
> with Windows 7 Home for the kids.  Problem: The Dell laptops cannot
> connect up to the US Robotics USR8054 802.11g router in the house.
>
> Symptoms: Dell laptops see the USR8054, which is wide open with no
> encryption at all, and which has a strong signal.  When you go to
> connect, the laptop tries, but responds that it can't.  The brand-new
> Windows 7 built-in diagnostics are virtually useless, as they hardly
> tell you anything about the cause of the failure.
>
> A one-year old HP running Vista works just fine with the wifi.
>
> Curiosity: Dell laptops connect up OK to neighbor's (a more regular
> client) wide-open Netgear.  All the Win 7 wifi connection parameters
> match between the two routers.
>
> McAfee software is installed on both Dells, with one-year subscription.
>   I looked at all the McAfee firewall settings and saw nothing unusual.
>
> I changed some of the USR router settings to no avail.
>
> Client is going to buy a Linksys WRT54G to replace the USR router.  The
> USR8054 is unfamiliar to me, and the USR cable modems are not widespread
> around here.
>
> Anyone else had similar unfavorable out-of-box wifi experiences with
> recent Dell purchases?
>
> I ran into a similar situation a few months ago with a Dell desktop
> running Vista.  In both cases, I have no idea what might have been done
> to the computers prior to my getting the call.  The answer may be there
> in what they did before, but I'll never be able to figure out what they
> might have done.
>
> I had an almost instantaneous wifi connection with a Lenovo T500 I set
> up recently with Windows 7 Pro, so it ain't Windows 7... Ben Myers

Has the router got MAC address filtering turned on?

Some time ago I set my router up to only allow my Vostro 1700 laptop
to connect and when I replaced it with an Inspiron 1750 I'd forgotten.

Took me ages to figure it out (and I was on the point of doing a
factory-reset on the router!)
From: fred on
hi,

i have the same problem with a dell studio XPS 13
windows vista home premium works with the wifi of my USR8054 802.11g
router
windows 7 home premium don't work with the wifi of my USR8054 802.11g
router

do you have a idea to resolve this problem :-(
From: BillW50 on
In news:hh6a6t$4tg$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
Ben Myers typed on Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:36:44 -0500:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> In news:hh60bk$h15$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> What does "ipconfig /all" report?
>>
>> What is the router's IP address? 192.168.1.1, 172.16.100.x, etc.
>>
>> The Windows 7 machine might be looking for a different IP address.
>> Try: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6742
>
> The USR router uses a 256-range (255.255.255.0 subnet mask) within
> 192.168.x.x (the x's ARE unusual, but valid numbers), and it is on
> channel 11 by default. I changed the channel with no effect, as
> expected.

Changing the channel is one thing. Although I have good luck with
channel 8 when there are other 2.4GHz devices around. Like cordless
phones for example.

> I did not change it's base IP address. The cited FAQ tells
> me what I already know about routers in general, and about Linksys,
> not US Robotics.

While it talks about Linksys, everything there is about routers in
general, including US Robotics.

> On the Dells, IPCONFIG /ALL cannot and does not show anything useful,
> because they never manage to make a connection with the router. On
> the HP, IPCONFIG /ALL reports reasonable numbers for gateway, DHCP
> server, and DNS servers.

Well let's see, new Windows install that can't connect to the router.
Yet you can't see how that link I mentioned which says to do a "ipconfig
/renew" will tell Windows to seek out the router's IP address will help
anything. Well then how can we help you?

> Client called Dell before calling me, and the Dell tech out there in
> Asia somewhere walked through a number of steps before saying that the
> computers were all OK and that the router was the culprit. Of
> course, I continue to have my doubts about the aggregate technical
> wisdom of script monkeys... Ben Myers

People like you who doesn't understand how renew switch can help
anything, need to do things the way you people can understand. That is
to replace the US Robotics router with another router and then your
problems would be solved.

There are lots of other things I can go into, but you won't understand
or even try anyway. So what would be the point?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: RnR on
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:48:35 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>Occasional client of mine bought a pair of Dell Inspiron 1545 laptops
>with Windows 7 Home for the kids. Problem: The Dell laptops cannot
>connect up to the US Robotics USR8054 802.11g router in the house.
>
>Symptoms: Dell laptops see the USR8054, which is wide open with no
>encryption at all, and which has a strong signal. When you go to
>connect, the laptop tries, but responds that it can't. The brand-new
>Windows 7 built-in diagnostics are virtually useless, as they hardly
>tell you anything about the cause of the failure.
>
>A one-year old HP running Vista works just fine with the wifi.
>
>Curiosity: Dell laptops connect up OK to neighbor's (a more regular
>client) wide-open Netgear. All the Win 7 wifi connection parameters
>match between the two routers.
>
>McAfee software is installed on both Dells, with one-year subscription.
> I looked at all the McAfee firewall settings and saw nothing unusual.
>
>I changed some of the USR router settings to no avail.
>
>Client is going to buy a Linksys WRT54G to replace the USR router. The
>USR8054 is unfamiliar to me, and the USR cable modems are not widespread
>around here.
>
>Anyone else had similar unfavorable out-of-box wifi experiences with
>recent Dell purchases?
>
>I ran into a similar situation a few months ago with a Dell desktop
>running Vista. In both cases, I have no idea what might have been done
>to the computers prior to my getting the call. The answer may be there
>in what they did before, but I'll never be able to figure out what they
>might have done.
>
>I had an almost instantaneous wifi connection with a Lenovo T500 I set
>up recently with Windows 7 Pro, so it ain't Windows 7... Ben Myers

I can't help much here Ben but I've had some issues with a dsl
modem/router I got when I went to dsl. It's been a while now but as I
recall, I wanted to turn on their internal firewall... a rather simple
setting to change. Twice I tried to change the setting in their
setup and each time afterwards I get dropped connections almost on a
daily basis. It would drop me random times and other times, work
fine. Now I've gone back to their default values and can't remember
the last dropped connection I've had due to this hardware. Apparently
this has nothing to do with my system nor OS because I've had issues
with every system in my home. I know I paid particular attention the
second time I tried the change in settings because of what happened to
me the first time but it still did no good. As I said, this may not
help you except to say that, there are some things we just can't
explain or you did nothing wrong but perhaps a bug in their setup??
From: BillW50 on
In news:sqpej5tg1d3lk959fj12jdbkb74fcd1fn2(a)4ax.com,
RnR typed on Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:07:58 -0600:
> I can't help much here Ben but I've had some issues with a dsl
> modem/router I got when I went to dsl. It's been a while now but as I
> recall, I wanted to turn on their internal firewall... a rather simple
> setting to change. Twice I tried to change the setting in their
> setup and each time afterwards I get dropped connections almost on a
> daily basis. It would drop me random times and other times, work
> fine. Now I've gone back to their default values and can't remember
> the last dropped connection I've had due to this hardware. Apparently
> this has nothing to do with my system nor OS because I've had issues
> with every system in my home. I know I paid particular attention the
> second time I tried the change in settings because of what happened to
> me the first time but it still did no good. As I said, this may not
> help you except to say that, there are some things we just can't
> explain or you did nothing wrong but perhaps a bug in their setup??

That is interesting RnR. Curiously, what is the make and model of this
DSL modem/router?

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC