From: RnR on
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 09:24:57 -0600, "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>In news:sqpej5tg1d3lk959fj12jdbkb74fcd1fn2(a)4ax.com,
>RnR typed on Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:07:58 -0600:
>> I can't help much here Ben but I've had some issues with a dsl
>> modem/router I got when I went to dsl. It's been a while now but as I
>> recall, I wanted to turn on their internal firewall... a rather simple
>> setting to change. Twice I tried to change the setting in their
>> setup and each time afterwards I get dropped connections almost on a
>> daily basis. It would drop me random times and other times, work
>> fine. Now I've gone back to their default values and can't remember
>> the last dropped connection I've had due to this hardware. Apparently
>> this has nothing to do with my system nor OS because I've had issues
>> with every system in my home. I know I paid particular attention the
>> second time I tried the change in settings because of what happened to
>> me the first time but it still did no good. As I said, this may not
>> help you except to say that, there are some things we just can't
>> explain or you did nothing wrong but perhaps a bug in their setup??
>
>That is interesting RnR. Curiously, what is the make and model of this
>DSL modem/router?

Make = Consolidated Communications
Model = 6218-xxxx

This is supplied by my telephone company. It works as is great but
now I'm afraid to try to change a setting a 3rd time <grin>. Bill I'm
not worried since I got a good firewall suite and added several layers
of malware protection. Surprisingly it all gets along with each
other.
From: Christopher Muto on
Ben Myers wrote:
> Occasional client of mine bought a pair of Dell Inspiron 1545 laptops
> with Windows 7 Home for the kids. Problem: The Dell laptops cannot
> connect up to the US Robotics USR8054 802.11g router in the house.
>
> Symptoms: Dell laptops see the USR8054, which is wide open with no
> encryption at all, and which has a strong signal. When you go to
> connect, the laptop tries, but responds that it can't. The brand-new
> Windows 7 built-in diagnostics are virtually useless, as they hardly
> tell you anything about the cause of the failure.
>
> A one-year old HP running Vista works just fine with the wifi.
>
> Curiosity: Dell laptops connect up OK to neighbor's (a more regular
> client) wide-open Netgear. All the Win 7 wifi connection parameters
> match between the two routers.
>
> McAfee software is installed on both Dells, with one-year subscription.
> I looked at all the McAfee firewall settings and saw nothing unusual.
>
> I changed some of the USR router settings to no avail.
>
> Client is going to buy a Linksys WRT54G to replace the USR router. The
> USR8054 is unfamiliar to me, and the USR cable modems are not widespread
> around here.
>
> Anyone else had similar unfavorable out-of-box wifi experiences with
> recent Dell purchases?
>
> I ran into a similar situation a few months ago with a Dell desktop
> running Vista. In both cases, I have no idea what might have been done
> to the computers prior to my getting the call. The answer may be there
> in what they did before, but I'll never be able to figure out what they
> might have done.
>
> I had an almost instantaneous wifi connection with a Lenovo T500 I set
> up recently with Windows 7 Pro, so it ain't Windows 7... Ben Myers

it is far from a popular router, and the latest firmware release is from
april 20005... the best you could possibly do is flash the thing with
the latest firmware and hope that resolves the issue...
http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=8054
otherwise i would suggest a linksys wrt160n which refurbished sells as
little as $31 with free shipping from amazon.
From: Ben Myers on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
>> Occasional client of mine bought a pair of Dell Inspiron 1545 laptops
>> with Windows 7 Home for the kids. Problem: The Dell laptops cannot
>> connect up to the US Robotics USR8054 802.11g router in the house.
>>
>> Symptoms: Dell laptops see the USR8054, which is wide open with no
>> encryption at all, and which has a strong signal. When you go to
>> connect, the laptop tries, but responds that it can't. The brand-new
>> Windows 7 built-in diagnostics are virtually useless, as they hardly
>> tell you anything about the cause of the failure.
>>
>> A one-year old HP running Vista works just fine with the wifi.
>>
>> Curiosity: Dell laptops connect up OK to neighbor's (a more regular
>> client) wide-open Netgear. All the Win 7 wifi connection parameters
>> match between the two routers.
>>
>> McAfee software is installed on both Dells, with one-year
>> subscription. I looked at all the McAfee firewall settings and saw
>> nothing unusual.
>>
>> I changed some of the USR router settings to no avail.
>>
>> Client is going to buy a Linksys WRT54G to replace the USR router.
>> The USR8054 is unfamiliar to me, and the USR cable modems are not
>> widespread around here.
>>
>> Anyone else had similar unfavorable out-of-box wifi experiences with
>> recent Dell purchases?
>>
>> I ran into a similar situation a few months ago with a Dell desktop
>> running Vista. In both cases, I have no idea what might have been
>> done to the computers prior to my getting the call. The answer may be
>> there in what they did before, but I'll never be able to figure out
>> what they might have done.
>>
>> I had an almost instantaneous wifi connection with a Lenovo T500 I set
>> up recently with Windows 7 Pro, so it ain't Windows 7... Ben Myers
>
> it is far from a popular router, and the latest firmware release is from
> april 20005... the best you could possibly do is flash the thing with
> the latest firmware and hope that resolves the issue...
> http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=8054
> otherwise i would suggest a linksys wrt160n which refurbished sells as
> little as $31 with free shipping from amazon.

Christopher,

We are thinking along the same lines, namely a replacement wifi
router... Ben Myers
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: External DVD to boot i910?