From: W on
The old Poweredge 1550 1U server uses a drive tray number 1F912. Does Dell
make any just a bunch of disks (JBOD) drive array that uses the same style
tray?

From: Christopher Muto on
W wrote:
> The old Poweredge 1550 1U server uses a drive tray number 1F912. Does Dell
> make any just a bunch of disks (JBOD) drive array that uses the same style
> tray?

dell doesn't actually make any drives. they do test particular models
and sometimes customize the drive firmware to ensure compatibility with
the given controller in their poweredge servers. the poweredge trays
are standard drive form factor size so you could use a generic drive if
that is what you are asking. the 1f912 tray fits poweredge 1550, 1650,
and 1750 ad are available for cheap on ebay.
From: W on
"Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>W wrote:
>> The old Poweredge 1550 1U server uses a drive tray number 1F912. Does
>> Dell make any just a bunch of disks (JBOD) drive array that uses the same
>> style tray?
>>

> dell doesn't actually make any drives. they do test particular models and
> sometimes customize the drive firmware to ensure compatibility with the
> given controller in their poweredge servers. the poweredge trays are
> standard drive form factor size so you could use a generic drive if that
> is what you are asking. the 1f912 tray fits poweredge 1550, 1650, and
> 1750 ad are available for cheap on ebay.

I'm asking if Dell makes an *enclosure* that will hold the 1F912 drive tray.
By enclosure, I don't mean a computer. I mean a case that is designed to
just hold drives, and uplink to a separate host computer by SCSI.

I did realize they don't make drives.

From: Christopher Muto on
W wrote:
> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> W wrote:
>>> The old Poweredge 1550 1U server uses a drive tray number 1F912. Does
>>> Dell make any just a bunch of disks (JBOD) drive array that uses the same
>>> style tray?
>>>
>> dell doesn't actually make any drives. they do test particular models and
>> sometimes customize the drive firmware to ensure compatibility with the
>> given controller in their poweredge servers. the poweredge trays are
>> standard drive form factor size so you could use a generic drive if that
>> is what you are asking. the 1f912 tray fits poweredge 1550, 1650, and
>> 1750 ad are available for cheap on ebay.
>
> I'm asking if Dell makes an *enclosure* that will hold the 1F912 drive tray.
> By enclosure, I don't mean a computer. I mean a case that is designed to
> just hold drives, and uplink to a separate host computer by SCSI.
>
> I did realize they don't make drives.

dell does make some network attached storage (nas) devices that are
essentially housing for drives that are mounted in cages, but they are
more sophisticated and expensive than run of the mill nas devices from
the likes of lacie, linksys, netgear etc. and as far as i know they do
not accept the 1f912 cage/sled (which are compatible with the poweredge
1550/1650/1750). you can of course remove the drives that you may
currently have in the 1f912 cages/sleds and use them in any computer
that has a compatible scsi bus with available ports.
From: W on
>W wrote:
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> dell doesn't actually make any drives. they do test particular models
>>> and sometimes customize the drive firmware to ensure compatibility with
>>> the given controller in their poweredge servers. the poweredge trays
>>> are standard drive form factor size so you could use a generic drive if
>>> that is what you are asking. the 1f912 tray fits poweredge 1550, 1650,
>>> and 1750 ad are available for cheap on ebay.
>>
>> I'm asking if Dell makes an *enclosure* that will hold the 1F912 drive
>> tray. By enclosure, I don't mean a computer. I mean a case that is
>> designed to just hold drives, and uplink to a separate host computer by
>> SCSI.
>>
>> I did realize they don't make drives.
>>

> dell does make some network attached storage (nas) devices that are
> essentially housing for drives that are mounted in cages, but they are
> more sophisticated and expensive than run of the mill nas devices from the
> likes of lacie, linksys, netgear etc. and as far as i know they do not
> accept the 1f912 cage/sled (which are compatible with the poweredge
> 1550/1650/1750). you can of course remove the drives that you may
> currently have in the 1f912 cages/sleds and use them in any computer that
> has a compatible scsi bus with available ports.

We are testing drives in 1F912 trays that are actually used in 1550
PowerEdge servers, so matching the enclosure to the tray is important to
avoid the time required to change the drive over to a different tray.

Newer PowerEdge servers like 2650 use a tray that works in the 220S JBOD
enclosure. I was hoping Dell had something similar for the older style
tray.

NAS is not what we want.