From: Ken Tukyfriedturkey on

"Ricky McDonnell" <admin(a)4chan.org.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
> This laptop coming in from a customer to repair a broken screen, he also
> says he can't boot or install any OS to any internal drive, he says when
> he goes to the bios it says HDD froze in the hard drive settings.
>
> Anyone know how to remove this "freeze"?
>
> Thanks

MoBo's ferked.

From: Ben Myers on
On 2/24/2010 1:44 PM, Ricky McDonnell wrote:
> Hi,
> This laptop coming in from a customer to repair a broken screen, he also
> says he can't boot or install any OS to any internal drive, he says when
> he goes to the bios it says HDD froze in the hard drive settings.
>
> Anyone know how to remove this "freeze"?
>
> Thanks

Well, the motherboard may not be completely hosed because it does show a
BIOS screen, but it could be damaged by whatever broke the screen.

I would need to see the EXACT BIOS message, because "HDD freeze" could
mean several things.

I think you need to get your hands on the laptop and verify what the
customer is saying, see what happens with your own eyes, and let us know
what's up. Also, make sure that there are not any loose wires, memory
modules are securely installed, etc... Ben Myers
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> It isn't just the original drive though, it happens with other drives.
> He has the admin password for the bios as well...

I'd suggest removing that admin password, at least temporarily.

It's hard to tell what the BIOS might do if it "knew" that a hard disk
password was set. It could, in its infinite wisdom, try to apply that
password to other hard drives as they are installed.

I have not read of any standard behavior that the implementation of
this security mechanism would follow. There may not be one.

No, I doubt that a BIOS flash is the solution. You should try the
offending hard drives in another computer. As they should be SATA
drives, you can easily plug them into a desktop computer equipped with
SATA and no adapter is required.

William
From: Ricky McDonnell on
On 24/02/2010 22:13, Ben Myers wrote:
> On 2/24/2010 1:44 PM, Ricky McDonnell wrote:
>> Hi,
>> This laptop coming in from a customer to repair a broken screen, he also
>> says he can't boot or install any OS to any internal drive, he says when
>> he goes to the bios it says HDD froze in the hard drive settings.
>>
>> Anyone know how to remove this "freeze"?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Well, the motherboard may not be completely hosed because it does show a
> BIOS screen, but it could be damaged by whatever broke the screen.
>
> I would need to see the EXACT BIOS message, because "HDD freeze" could
> mean several things.
>
> I think you need to get your hands on the laptop and verify what the
> customer is saying, see what happens with your own eyes, and let us know
> what's up. Also, make sure that there are not any loose wires, memory
> modules are securely installed, etc... Ben Myers

Hi,
Customer says he has tried the drive in other computers and it works
fine. wish i knew what this clever bios is doing, however I won't have
the laptop in for a few days yet so I'll report back when I can see the
error and everything hands on
Thanks for all your replies check back in a few days
If anyone has anything else to add please do
From: Ricky McDonnell on
On 24/02/2010 23:01, Ricky McDonnell wrote:
> On 24/02/2010 22:13, Ben Myers wrote:
>> On 2/24/2010 1:44 PM, Ricky McDonnell wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> This laptop coming in from a customer to repair a broken screen, he also
>>> says he can't boot or install any OS to any internal drive, he says when
>>> he goes to the bios it says HDD froze in the hard drive settings.
>>>
>>> Anyone know how to remove this "freeze"?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Well, the motherboard may not be completely hosed because it does show a
>> BIOS screen, but it could be damaged by whatever broke the screen.
>>
>> I would need to see the EXACT BIOS message, because "HDD freeze" could
>> mean several things.
>>
>> I think you need to get your hands on the laptop and verify what the
>> customer is saying, see what happens with your own eyes, and let us know
>> what's up. Also, make sure that there are not any loose wires, memory
>> modules are securely installed, etc... Ben Myers
>
> Hi,
> Customer says he has tried the drive in other computers and it works
> fine. wish i knew what this clever bios is doing, however I won't have
> the laptop in for a few days yet so I'll report back when I can see the
> error and everything hands on
> Thanks for all your replies check back in a few days
> If anyone has anything else to add please do

Small uninteresting followup.
Customer canceled the order, and said that he managed to get an OS to
install and he was going to fix the screen himself.

Boring end.