From: TJ on
On 06/16/2010 01:53 PM, UCLAN wrote:
> TJ wrote:
>
>> On 06/15/2010 11:00 PM, Adam wrote:
>>
>>> My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
>>> power to the whole computer system. This is a waste of electricity and
>>> an annoyance. Would anybody out there know of anything I can do to
>>> change this behavior so this printer doesn't start up automatically? Or
>>> is there some escape (or other) sequence I could send to the printer to
>>> shut it off when I start the computer? Or can anyone think of any other
>>> workarounds for this? Thanks VERY much in advance!
>>>
>>> Adam
>>
>> I don't own the printer you ask about, but I have owned several HP
>> printers. I use them with Linux for the most part, but I also use
>> Windows 2000 once in a while. I have not yet used any version of
>> Windows beyond Windows 2000, so what I say here might not apply to
>> those newer versions.
>>
>> The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
>> that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
>> the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
>> still acting as if it is switched off.
>
> [...snip]
>
> Why not simply plug it into an outlet that has its own switch, like

If it is like my 5650, when it's in the "off" state, whether by printer
switch or by software, it can still be awakened by the computer without
using the switch. (yes, it's actually in a semi-off state, like a TV
that has a remote control.) If one uses the switched outlet solution,
one has to switch it manually.

If it's like my Officejet, the printer switch is a true "off" switch,
and the switched outlet would be superfluous.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
From: Adam on
TJ wrote:

>>> The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
>>> that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
>>> the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
>>> still acting as if it is switched off.
>>
>> [...snip]
>>
>> Why not simply plug it into an outlet that has its own switch, like
>>
> If it is like my 5650, when it's in the "off" state, whether by printer
> switch or by software, it can still be awakened by the computer without
> using the switch. (yes, it's actually in a semi-off state, like a TV
> that has a remote control.) If one uses the switched outlet solution,
> one has to switch it manually.

My previous inkjet (Canon i550) was the same way, so I know exactly
what you mean.

> If it's like my Officejet, the printer switch is a true "off" switch,
> and the switched outlet would be superfluous.

This is a cheap printer (Deskjet D1430) and there's no software
override for the power switch. That would be okay with me except
that whenever AC power goes up, it starts up in "on".

What I think I'll do (unless someone has a better idea) is get
something like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg
which is a switch for one (ungrounded) outlet, to go between my UPS
and this printer.

Thanks again, everybody, for your suggestions, and what they've
inspired me to research and discover!

Adam
From: Bob Headrick on
"Adam" <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote in message
> This is a cheap printer (Deskjet D1430) and there's no software override
> for the power switch. That would be okay with me except that whenever AC
> power goes up, it starts up in "on".
>
> What I think I'll do (unless someone has a better idea) is get something
> like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg which is a
> switch for one (ungrounded) outlet, to go between my UPS and this printer.

If you turn off the power externally to the printer it may not properly cap
the cartridges, allowing them to dry out. Additionally, when the power is
reapplied the printer will assume the worst case for time since the last
print job and will do more aggressive cleaning. This will result in more
ink used for servicing, which will reduce the life of the ink cartridges as
well as the printe
The printer automatically goes into a low power state when not printing. It
would be best to leave the printer connected to a live outlet and power the
printer off with its own power switch when necessary.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

From: TJ on
On 06/16/2010 11:36 PM, Adam wrote:

>>> [...snip]
>>>
>>> Why not simply plug it into an outlet that has its own switch, like
>>>
>> If it is like my 5650, when it's in the "off" state, whether by printer
>> switch or by software, it can still be awakened by the computer without
>> using the switch. (yes, it's actually in a semi-off state, like a TV
>> that has a remote control.) If one uses the switched outlet solution,
>> one has to switch it manually.
>
> My previous inkjet (Canon i550) was the same way, so I know exactly what
> you mean.
>
>> If it's like my Officejet, the printer switch is a true "off" switch,
>> and the switched outlet would be superfluous.
>
> This is a cheap printer (Deskjet D1430) and there's no software override
> for the power switch. That would be okay with me except that whenever AC
> power goes up, it starts up in "on".
>
> What I think I'll do (unless someone has a better idea) is get something
> like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg which is a
> switch for one (ungrounded) outlet, to go between my UPS and this printer.
>
> Thanks again, everybody, for your suggestions, and what they've inspired
> me to research and discover!
>
> Adam

"Cheap" probably has little to do with it. My Officejet was designed for
small-office duty. It's largish, rugged, and hardly cheap in its day.
The "cheap" version at the time was the PSC 2110 that I mentioned. Yet
neither of them had the same shutoff feature as the 5650. Instead, they
had a sort of sleep mode, which was as you describe. Personal
speculation is that the lack of it had something to do with the scanner
bulb, but I have nothing to really base that on.

However, I can tell you that for a while I ran the PSC without turning
the printer's switch off, but by switching everything off with a power
strip. Bad idea. Every time I powered up, the printer and scanner would
initialize. It is my belief that the practice led to the early failure
of the scanner bulb, due to the many start-up cycles, and that meant the
printer was gone, too. I now keep the Officejet switched off with the
printer switch unless I am going to use it, and I use it for "special"
jobs. For everyday, knocking around, throwaway stuff, I use the 5650.

In my case, the 5650 was the "cheap" printer. I picked it up at a
rummage sale for $1. It needed a power supply brick, which I found on
Ebay for $15. The Officejet was about $70 used, also on Ebay. Both
happened to based on the same print engine and cartridges as my
then-failing PSC, one of the reasons I selected them.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
From: Adam on
Bob Headrick wrote:
> "Adam" <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>> whenever AC power goes up, [the Deskjet] starts up in "on".
>>
>> What I think I'll do (unless someone has a better idea) is get
>> something like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg
>> which is a switch for one (ungrounded) outlet, to go between my UPS
>> and this printer.
>
> If you turn off the power externally to the printer it may not properly
> cap the cartridges, allowing them to dry out. Additionally, when the
> power is reapplied the printer will assume the worst case for time since
> the last print job and will do more aggressive cleaning. This will
> result in more ink used for servicing, which will reduce the life of the
> ink cartridges as well as the printer.

Thanks for your advice, Bob! That's what I've heard... inkjet
printers should always be turned off with their own switch (or
through software), for those reasons. I've always made sure to do
that, and made sure my various inkjet printers were switched off
before turning off the power strip or UPS. Of course, the one
unavoidable violation of that is when AC power goes out (or goes out
long enough for the UPS to shut down).

> The printer automatically goes into a low power state when not printing.
> It would be best to leave the printer connected to a live outlet and
> power the printer off with its own power switch when necessary.

I hadn't intended to use the "outlet switch" (or whatever it's
called) to shut down the inkjet, just as a means of keeping it from
automatically powering on when I switch on the UPS. Then when I
want to print something on it, turning the outlet switch on would
start up the printer. From then on I'd use the printer's own
switch, until I'm ready to power down the whole system. Then it's
(a) make sure inkjet is powered off, (b) flip outlet switch to off,
(c) switch off UPS. There may be entire "sessions" when I don't use
the inkjet at all.

Does that sound technically okay, since the inkjet (once on) would
always be turned off by its own switch? And also would the whole
thing I've described be more trouble than it's worth? (That one I
have to answer myself!) Thanks again for your expertise!

Adam