From: Adam on
My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
power to the whole computer system. This is a waste of electricity
and an annoyance. Would anybody out there know of anything I can do
to change this behavior so this printer doesn't start up
automatically? Or is there some escape (or other) sequence I could
send to the printer to shut it off when I start the computer? Or
can anyone think of any other workarounds for this? Thanks VERY
much in advance!

Adam
--
Email: adam seven zero seven AT verizon DOT net
From: Ted Nolan <tednolan> on
In article <hv9eot$n9k$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Adam <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
>power to the whole computer system. This is a waste of electricity
>and an annoyance. Would anybody out there know of anything I can do
>to change this behavior so this printer doesn't start up
>automatically? Or is there some escape (or other) sequence I could
>send to the printer to shut it off when I start the computer? Or
>can anyone think of any other workarounds for this? Thanks VERY
>much in advance!
>
>Adam

Um, unplug the power cord unless you need to print?

Is there no power switch on the printer?

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
From: TJ on
On 06/15/2010 11:00 PM, Adam wrote:
> My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
> power to the whole computer system. This is a waste of electricity and
> an annoyance. Would anybody out there know of anything I can do to
> change this behavior so this printer doesn't start up automatically? Or
> is there some escape (or other) sequence I could send to the printer to
> shut it off when I start the computer? Or can anyone think of any other
> workarounds for this? Thanks VERY much in advance!
>
> Adam

I don't own the printer you ask about, but I have owned several HP
printers. I use them with Linux for the most part, but I also use
Windows 2000 once in a while. I have not yet used any version of Windows
beyond Windows 2000, so what I say here might not apply to those newer
versions.

The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
still acting as if it is switched off.

However, while my Officejet 2110 and its predecessor, a PSC 2110, have a
similar option in the software, neither of those machines actually shut
off automatically. Instead they went into a "sleep" mode. With them,
they still acted as yours does when I powered up. The only solution for
them is/was to manually work the power switch.

The Linux software doesn't contain this option,or at least I haven't
found it yet, so if I used Linux exclusively I'd be stuck with using the
power switch. However, once I set the 5650 in Windows, it still
functioned that way with Linux.

Not particularly specific, but I hope it helps anyway.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
From: TJ on
On 06/16/2010 08:59 AM, TJ wrote:
> I don't own the printer you ask about, but I have owned several HP
> printers. I use them with Linux for the most part, but I also use
> Windows 2000 once in a while. I have not yet used any version of Windows
> beyond Windows 2000, so what I say here might not apply to those newer
> versions.
>
> The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
> that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
> the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
> still acting as if it is switched off.

A little correction here... My first description was probably confusing.

Essentially, the software issues a command to the printer, which the
printer then holds in its own memory. The command is not re-issued each
time Windows is run, but it stays in effect until a new one is issued.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
From: Adam on
TJ wrote:
> On 06/15/2010 11:00 PM, Adam wrote:
>> My HP Deskjet D1430 always switches itself on whenever I turn on AC
>> power to the whole computer system.
>
> I don't own the printer you ask about, but I have owned several HP
> printers. I use them with Linux for the most part

Me too... we're both active in the "Time" thread in a.o.l.m. :-)

> The Windows software for my Deskjet 5650 contains a power-saver option
> that will shut down the printer as if the switch had been used, after
> the printer sits idle for a time. When I power back up, the printer is
> still acting as if it is switched off.

My previous (Canon) printer had the same feature, but that was a
considerably more expensive printer. This HP is a cheapo, came free
when I bought the computer, and would probably have retailed for US
$30-40. I'm not surprised the better HPs have this feature; I think
my parents' HP 5150 does too.

> The only solution for them is/was to manually work the power switch.

If I can't come up with any better solutions, I may connect
something like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg
between the printer and my UPS. Not automatic, but would work.

> The Linux software doesn't contain this option,or at least I haven't
> found it yet, so if I used Linux exclusively I'd be stuck with using the
> power switch. However, once I set the 5650 in Windows, it still
> functioned that way with Linux.

That gives me an idea... I'll try installing the included software
in one of my Windows VMs, and see if it has that setting.

> Not particularly specific, but I hope it helps anyway.

It's given me some ideas. Thanks, TJ!

Adam