From: Adam on
TJ wrote:
> On 06/16/2010 11:36 PM, Adam wrote:
>> This is a cheap printer (Deskjet D1430) and there's no software override
>> for the power switch. That would be okay with me except that whenever AC
>> power goes up, it starts up in "on".
>>
>> What I think I'll do (unless someone has a better idea) is get something
>> like http://cleantechnica.com/files/2008/11/8651zooma.jpg which is a
>> switch for one (ungrounded) outlet, to go between my UPS and this
>> printer.
>
> However, I can tell you that for a while I ran the PSC without turning
> the printer's switch off, but by switching everything off with a power
> strip. Bad idea. Every time I powered up, the printer and scanner would
> initialize. It is my belief that the practice led to the early failure
> of the scanner bulb, due to the many start-up cycles, and that meant the
> printer was gone, too.

I've heard of things like that. For that reason, I've always made
sure that whatever inkjet I have has its power off (by switch or by
software) before killing the "master" power (power strip or UPS).
My scanner is separate, and it does have a low power mode that it
goes into after a while, but I only switch it on when I'll be
scanning, and off when I'm done with it.

> In my case, the 5650 was the "cheap" printer. I picked it up at a
> rummage sale for $1.

Ha! I beat you! :-) I got this dinosaur HP Color LaserJet 5M for
free. Of course the thing dates from 1997, is the size of a large
window air conditioner, weighs 102 lbs. (46 kg) empty, takes several
minutes to warm up, is incredibly slow in color, and is a power hog,
so I can see why the guy wanted to give it away before he moved.
OTOH the cost of consumables and parts thru eBay is almost nothing.
Electricity is another matter -- even its "power saver" mode draws
30W.

Well, at least both of us now have working printers.

Adam
From: Adam on
me(a)mine.net wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:36:38 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers Adam
> <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>
>> considerably more expensive printer. This HP is a cheapo, came free
>> when I bought the computer, and would probably have retailed for US
>> $30-40.
>
> Then why even bother putting this on the UPS?

Y'know, that's a really good point. I just never thought about it,
and plugged all the computer pieces into the power strip (and now
the UPS). At least I plugged the printers into the non-backed-up
side of the UPS. :-) Thanks VERY much for the suggestion!

Adam
From: who where on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:26:56 -0400, Adam <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:

>I hadn't intended to use the "outlet switch" (or whatever it's
>called) to shut down the inkjet, just as a means of keeping it from
>automatically powering on when I switch on the UPS. Then when I
>want to print something on it, turning the outlet switch on would
>start up the printer. From then on I'd use the printer's own
>switch, until I'm ready to power down the whole system. Then it's
>(a) make sure inkjet is powered off, (b) flip outlet switch to off,
>(c) switch off UPS. There may be entire "sessions" when I don't use
>the inkjet at all.
>
>Does that sound technically okay, since the inkjet (once on) would
>always be turned off by its own switch?

That IS what a large number of "only print occasionally" users do.

>And also would the whole
>thing I've described be more trouble than it's worth? (That one I
>have to answer myself!)

Depends on how often you need to print.
From: Adam on
who where wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:26:56 -0400, Adam<adam(a)address.invalid> wrote:
>> I hadn't intended to use the "outlet switch" (or whatever it's
>> called) to shut down the inkjet, just as a means of keeping it from
>> automatically powering on when I switch on the UPS.
[snip]
>> Does that sound technically okay, since the inkjet (once on) would
>> always be turned off by its own switch?
>
> That IS what a large number of "only print occasionally" users do.
>
>> And also would the whole
>> thing I've described be more trouble than it's worth? (That one I
>> have to answer myself!)
>
> Depends on how often you need to print.

Thanks very much! That puts things in perspective nicely. Now that
my dinosaur laser printer is working again (way cheaper per page), I
probably won't be using the inkjet very much. Hmm...

Adam
From: Bob Headrick on
"Adam" <adam(a)address.invalid> wrote in message

> I hadn't intended to use the "outlet switch" (or whatever it's called) to
> shut down the inkjet, just as a means of keeping it from automatically
> powering on when I switch on the UPS. Then when I want to print something
> on it, turning the outlet switch on would start up the printer. From then
> on I'd use the printer's own switch, until I'm ready to power down the
> whole system. Then it's (a) make sure inkjet is powered off, (b) flip
> outlet switch to off, (c) switch off UPS. There may be entire "sessions"
> when I don't use the inkjet at all.
>
> Does that sound technically okay, since the inkjet (once on) would always
> be turned off by its own switch? And also would the whole thing I've
> described be more trouble than it's worth? (That one I have to answer
> myself!) Thanks again for your expertise!

Generally Deskjet printers have an internal clock that tracks the time since
the last print job and does more or less servicing of the nozzles depending
on how long it has been. If you remove the power to the printer the clock
loses track of time and when the printer is turned on again it assumes the
worst case. This will use more ink for servicing than is necessary.
Besides higher printing costs this can also shorten the life of the printer.

I would recommend keeping the printer plugged into an active outlet.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging