From: Thomas Rudloff on
First of all check what is available for those boards. Setup your
development system and compile the supplied demo configuration. If this
does not work, wait or chose another board. Also check what is supplied
in the demos. Are these VHDL or Verilog sources or only some macros you
can add to your design or not. Can you live with that?

You will find that a little older board is the better choice because
there is more available while the chip is not mature yet.

Being one of the early adopters is easily going to be a hard job. Even
for a beginner.

For Xilinx I'd recommend a Spartan 3E board. A friend and I just
targeting the Spartan 3A Xtreme DSP board from Avnet. But this is more
expensive and still a little poor supported.

Looks like Xilinx learned from this and does a better job with their
Spartan-6 board.

You probably find an Altera alternative either. I am not familiar with
Altera boards. Maybe someone else has a recommendation.

And again, first try to do some small changes to the original design
like changing polarity of LEDs or something similar. If you cannot get
this work you are getting in hassle you cannot solve as a beginner.

You can find lots of CPUs in the web. They are powerful enough for such
a system. Look at www.opencores.org.
From: Jurgen Defurne on
As an additional question, what do you recommend as literature for
starting out on FPGA design ?

Regards,

Jurgen
From: Uwe Bonnes on

www.google.com?
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: John Adair on
Jurgen

There are a few things here http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/techitips/techitips.html
that may be of interest and help.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Merrick1. The HPC Solution.