From: Jurgen Defurne on
I have a hobby project which consists of developing a complete
computer system from the ground up. With complete I mean that it
should have character display capabilities, keyboard input
capabilities and mass storage capabilities. Graphics and networking
might come in the future, but I feel that adding these is probably
more a team effort than a single person effort, and I need time first
to implement what should be a reasonable system stack.

This is what I mean with from the ground up : a system stack
consisting of an ISA, a simulator for the ISA and processor
architecture, basic display and keyboard capabilities for the
simulator, and system software which is based on Lisp. I have already
the simulator running, together with the IO capabilities and an
assembler.

A nice link to give you a background, and what motivated me, is the
Homebuilt CPU's Webring, starting at
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/. However, I am not really motivated to
build anything in TTL (although I did design in 2006 and 2007 a 12-bit
CPU, which I simulated at the ALU/register level on a wire/bus basis)
and doing wirewrap (expensive) or etching boards (no laboratory space
available).

What I am looking at for the future is a board where I of course can
build a CPU on, with VGA output and USB interface for both keyboard
and mass storage.

Currently I have some target boards, which I find interesting both in
price and possibilities :

- Digilent Nexsys2 board
- Digilent Nexsys board
- Spartan-3 starter kit board
- Spartan-3E starter kit

I am fascinated by the possibilities these boards might give. However,
are there other boards that you know of so that I might compare them,
price less then 200 EUR ?

I have also been following the discussion below about the ARM cores,
so I know that there might be drawbacks on implementing a CPU (or a
more or less complete computer system) by means of an FPGA. However,
for me it seems the most logical way, because these boards offer some
basic possibilities which are difficult to achieve in any other
way. Also, since my interest goes to the total system
(ISA/implementation/SW/applications), this gives me the possibility to
create something in a reasonable time, say about 2 years.

That is basically it, I think. Since such a project has many details,
I have possibly already forgotten some things, so do not hesitate to
ask.

Regards,

Jurgen
From: John Adair on
Have a look at our new Spartan-6 board Drigmorn3
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/component_replacements/drigmorn3.html.
It's on the edge of your budget but there is also another board
Drigmorn2 (Spartan-3A) that is about to launch and is a little simpler
and cheaper.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd.

From: Jon on
Save up and go for one of these:

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc3-embedded.html

A bit more expensive, but it has all the toys.

Cheers,
Jon
From: -jg on
On Oct 11, 5:50 am, Jurgen Defurne <jurgen.defu...(a)telenet.be> wrote:
> I have a hobby project which consists of developing a complete
> computer system from the ground up. With complete I mean that it
> should have character display capabilities, keyboard input
> capabilities and mass storage capabilities. Graphics and networking
> might come in the future

Depends if your interest is more in the SW, HW, or final usable
system.

Look also at the propellor chip

> I have also been following the discussion below about the ARM cores,
> so I know that there might be drawbacks on implementing a CPU (or a
> more or less complete computer system) by means of an FPGA.

An FPGA solution is going to win on flexibility, but will always cost
more to get even a medium speed CPU in a FPGA, than as real silicon,
and you will not get very high performance single CPU in a FPGA,

So, I'd suggest you also look at the Low cost Eval Board, for Std
CPU's. eg
Atmel's ATNGW100 is just $89,
and NXP have just released a useful development platform for $60 : see
http://mbed.org/

or check out the bottom end Atom's ...

or for silicon working harder, perhaps this ?
http://www.belogic.com/uzebox/index.htm
- could be respun into xMega ...

-jg

From: Uwe Bonnes on
Jurgen Defurne <jurgen.defurne(a)telenet.be> wrote:
> I have a hobby project which consists of developing a complete
> computer system from the ground up. With complete I mean that it
> should have character display capabilities, keyboard input
> capabilities and mass storage capabilities. Graphics and networking
> might come in the future, but I feel that adding these is probably
> more a team effort than a single person effort, and I need time first
> to implement what should be a reasonable system stack.

> This is what I mean with from the ground up : a system stack
> consisting of an ISA, a simulator for the ISA and processor
> architecture, basic display and keyboard capabilities for the
> simulator, and system software which is based on Lisp. I have already
> the simulator running, together with the IO capabilities and an
> assembler.

> A nice link to give you a background, and what motivated me, is the
> Homebuilt CPU's Webring, starting at
> http://www.homebrewcpu.com/. However, I am not really motivated to
> build anything in TTL (although I did design in 2006 and 2007 a 12-bit
> CPU, which I simulated at the ALU/register level on a wire/bus basis)
> and doing wirewrap (expensive) or etching boards (no laboratory space
> available).

> What I am looking at for the future is a board where I of course can
> build a CPU on, with VGA output and USB interface for both keyboard
> and mass storage.

> Currently I have some target boards, which I find interesting both in
> price and possibilities :

> - Digilent Nexsys2 board
> - Digilent Nexsys board
> - Spartan-3 starter kit board
> - Spartan-3E starter kit

If you want the experiment with free CPU, look for a board without
DDR2. There is no open DDR2 core yet.

Otherwise look at the project you want to run and look at the supported
boards.

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt