From: Rowland McDonnell on
It's like this:

So I've got my mother in law's digital camera, and I'm trying to
download photos from it to this 'ere 10.6.4 Intel iMac.

The camera is a Fujui Finepix F11. I've followed the instructions on
setting up the physical connection to the iMac and also on setting up
the camera ready to transfer data.

On plugging in the camera to the Mac, `nothing happens'. I then
launched iPhoto - prefs are set to `Connecting camera opens iPhoto'.

Well, that didn't happen.

Import to library in the File menu gives no sign that a camera's hooked
up either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this one?

Cheers,
Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Jim on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this one?

With the camera connected load up the 'Image Capture' programme. Does
the camera show in there?

Failing that, Apple Menu->About This Mac->More Info...(so it loads the
System Profiler) - does the camera show in the USB section?

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Duncan Kennedy on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> It's like this:
>
> So I've got my mother in law's digital camera, and I'm trying to
> download photos from it to this 'ere 10.6.4 Intel iMac.
>
> The camera is a Fujui Finepix F11. I've followed the instructions on
> setting up the physical connection to the iMac and also on setting up
> the camera ready to transfer data.
>
> On plugging in the camera to the Mac, `nothing happens'. I then
> launched iPhoto - prefs are set to `Connecting camera opens iPhoto'.
>
> Well, that didn't happen.
>
> Import to library in the File menu gives no sign that a camera's hooked
> up either.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this one?

Fujii usualy has either a Smart Media or an SD card. Borrow a reader
and plug in then transfer using Finder? (Note - some older readers
don't seem to read SDHD cards, at least on Macs (as I discovered last
week) but are Ok with plain SD. Newer readers - even very cheap ones,
seem OK.)

--
duncank
From: Andrew Templeman on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> It's like this:
>
> So I've got my mother in law's digital camera, and I'm trying to
> download photos from it to this 'ere 10.6.4 Intel iMac.
>
> The camera is a Fujui Finepix F11. I've followed the instructions on
> setting up the physical connection to the iMac and also on setting up
> the camera ready to transfer data.
>
> On plugging in the camera to the Mac, `nothing happens'. I then
> launched iPhoto - prefs are set to `Connecting camera opens iPhoto'.
>
> Well, that didn't happen.
>
> Import to library in the File menu gives no sign that a camera's hooked
> up either.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this one?
>
> Cheers,
> Rowland.

The camera is 'On' isn't it? It's just you didn't say it.

If so, I would suspect a fault with camera interface or cable. As
others have said, you may need to try a card reader.

--
Andy Templeman <http://www.templeman.org.uk/>
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Duncan Kennedy <nospam(a)nospamottersonbg.couk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > It's like this:
> >
> > So I've got my mother in law's digital camera, and I'm trying to
> > download photos from it to this 'ere 10.6.4 Intel iMac.
> >
> > The camera is a Fujui Finepix F11. I've followed the instructions on
> > setting up the physical connection to the iMac and also on setting up
> > the camera ready to transfer data.
> >
> > On plugging in the camera to the Mac, `nothing happens'. I then
> > launched iPhoto - prefs are set to `Connecting camera opens iPhoto'.
> >
> > Well, that didn't happen.
> >
> > Import to library in the File menu gives no sign that a camera's hooked
> > up either.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this one?
> >

> Fujii usualy has either a Smart Media or an SD card. Borrow a reader
> and plug in then transfer using Finder? (Note - some older readers
> don't seem to read SDHD cards, at least on Macs (as I discovered last
> week) but are Ok with plain SD. Newer readers - even very cheap ones,
> seem OK.)

It's got an XD card - and neither of the two readers we've got can do
XD.

Rowland.