From: A.Lee on
I've just got hold of a 933mhz iBook for my g/f.
It'll be running 10.4 with 1gb ram.
She'll be needing a MS compatible Office program for occasional use,
what is the current favourite?
I'm using Neo-Office here, but that seems a little sluggish, especially
when starting up, is Open Office any better?

Ta
Alan.

From: Rowland McDonnell on
A.Lee <alan(a)darkroom.+.com> wrote:

> I've just got hold of a 933mhz iBook for my g/f.
> It'll be running 10.4 with 1gb ram.

10.4.11 with *ALL* the updaters, I hope - especially the Java ones...

Takes absolutely bloody ages to install the full set, so if possible, do
make a backup of the boot volume on finishing the OS installation, just
in case you want to put it back to `freshly installed' condition some
time. Could save you a lorra work, y'know?

> She'll be needing a MS compatible Office program for occasional use,
> what is the current favourite?

Different people like different things. Does she *really* need a full
MS Office-style thing?

If so, why not MS Office itself? If, that is, you can get hold of a
copy paid for by someone else (we have it here - supplied legit via my
wife's firm, for example).

> I'm using Neo-Office here, but that seems a little sluggish, especially
> when starting up, is Open Office any better?

More RAM usually helps with sluggishness.

If you want to find out what's least sluggish, you could do worse than
to try the comparison yourself.

Rowland.
(who uses LaTeX for his text output and Appleworks for spreadsheets)

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 18:16:22 +0100, alan(a)darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:

>I've just got hold of a 933mhz iBook for my g/f.
>It'll be running 10.4 with 1gb ram.
>She'll be needing a MS compatible Office program for occasional use,
>what is the current favourite?

How compatible, exactly? If she needs to round-trip documents with eg
edit change records in, then she'll need something serious (ie Office,
OpenOffice or NeoOffice). Otherwise...

If it's just Word you need, TextEdit does well on non-complex docs.
Bean does better.

For Excel and Powerpoint as well as Word, iWork is pretty competent.

>I'm using Neo-Office here, but that seems a little sluggish, especially
>when starting up, is Open Office any better?

Nope. Nor is Office (2004 or lower for a G4), mind. There's not really
a fast solution.

By the way, Leopard is a little faster than Tiger on that sort of
hardware, in my experience, and well worth it for Time Machine alone.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> alan(a)darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) wrote:
>
> >I've just got hold of a 933mhz iBook for my g/f.
> >It'll be running 10.4 with 1gb ram.
> >She'll be needing a MS compatible Office program for occasional use,
> >what is the current favourite?
>
> How compatible, exactly? If she needs to round-trip documents with eg
> edit change records in, then she'll need something serious (ie Office,
> OpenOffice or NeoOffice). Otherwise...
>
> If it's just Word you need, TextEdit does well on non-complex docs.
> Bean does better.

<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14744>

Antiword service: opens Word docs in `any' Cocoa text editing app.
So-so usefulness compared to what you'd get with something like
OpenOffice.org, but better than nothing.

<http://www.versiontracker.com/developer/10015316/DEVONtechnologies>

> For Excel and Powerpoint as well as Word, iWork is pretty competent.

iWork's spreadsheet really isn't up to Excel standards yet - especially
graphing.

> >I'm using Neo-Office here, but that seems a little sluggish, especially
> >when starting up, is Open Office any better?
>
> Nope. Nor is Office (2004 or lower for a G4), mind. There's not really
> a fast solution.
>
> By the way, Leopard is a little faster than Tiger on that sort of
> hardware, in my experience, and well worth it for Time Machine alone.

Classic is missing from MacOS X 10.5 (what you call Leopard).

Rowland.

From: Roger Merriman on
A.Lee <alan(a)darkroom.+.com> wrote:

> I've just got hold of a 933mhz iBook for my g/f.
> It'll be running 10.4 with 1gb ram.
> She'll be needing a MS compatible Office program for occasional use,
> what is the current favourite?
> I'm using Neo-Office here, but that seems a little sluggish, especially
> when starting up, is Open Office any better?
>
> Ta
> Alan.

openoffice should be a little quicker, iwork is intended for modern macs
so is sluggish, oddly the fastest office suite is microsoft office,
partically if you can find a older version 2nd hand?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
 |  Next  |  Last