From: A.Lee on
Roger Merriman <NEWS(a)sarlet.com> wrote:

> A.Lee <alan(a)darkroom.+.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just got hold of a 933mhz iBook for my g/f.
> > It'll be running 10.4 with 1gb ram.
> > She'll be needing a MS compatible Office program for occasional use,
> > what is the current favourite?

> openoffice should be a little quicker, iwork is intended for modern macs
> so is sluggish, oddly the fastest office suite is microsoft office,
> partically if you can find a older version 2nd hand?

OpenOffice was tried, and kept. - I've got Neo-office here on a 1.33ghz
PB, and find it sluggish, and OO wins by a mile on the 933mhz, it is far
quicker loading, and doesnt take an age to open a new document, as well
as being a little less cluttered/easier to use.

Ta
Alan.

From: Duncan Kennedy on
A.Lee <alan(a)darkroom.+.com> wrote:

> Roger Merriman <NEWS(a)sarlet.com> wrote:
>
> > A.Lee <alan(a)darkroom.+.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've just got hold of a 933mhz iBook for my g/f.
> > > It'll be running 10.4 with 1gb ram.
> > > She'll be needing a MS compatible Office program for occasional use,
> > > what is the current favourite?
>
> > openoffice should be a little quicker, iwork is intended for modern macs
> > so is sluggish, oddly the fastest office suite is microsoft office,
> > partically if you can find a older version 2nd hand?
>

> OpenOffice was tried, and kept. - I've got Neo-office here on a 1.33ghz
> PB, and find it sluggish, and OO wins by a mile on the 933mhz, it is far
> quicker loading, and doesnt take an age to open a new document, as well
> as being a little less cluttered/easier to use.

That's interesting - f'm fairly new to Macs - have Neo on Mini and OO on
MBP and I was beginning to come to the same conclusion. OO had a bad
reputation for loading time on Windows and Linux for a while but has got
better, I think. Neo does seem a bit slower.

--
duncank
From: Adrian Tuddenham on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Roger Merriman <NEWS(a)sarlet.com> wrote:
>
> > A.Lee <alan(a)darkroom.+.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've just got hold of a 933mhz iBook for my g/f.
> > > It'll be running 10.4 with 1gb ram.
> > > She'll be needing a MS compatible Office program for occasional use,
> > > what is the current favourite?
> > > I'm using Neo-Office here, but that seems a little sluggish, especially
> > > when starting up, is Open Office any better?
> > >
> > > Ta
> > > Alan.
> >
> > openoffice should be a little quicker, iwork is intended for modern macs
> > so is sluggish,
>
> It's normal for the up to date Mac software to be not at all sluggish on
> an up to date Mac. I've not noticed iWork being at all sluggish on the
> few occasions I've fired up bits of it to play with (still haven't even
> figured out how to use Pages yet - at least there are tutorials out
> there to play with if I should ever feel the need).
>
> > oddly the fastest office suite is microsoft office,
> > partically if you can find a older version 2nd hand?
>
> Claris Works is faster, if horribly obsolete.

Do you mean 'obsolete' = doesn't do things that are needed
or
'obsolete' = does all the things you need but the latest OS won't run
it?

I would agree with the latter - it is a perfectly good app which has
been killed-off by fashion.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Adrian Tuddenham <adrian(a)poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Roger Merriman <NEWS(a)sarlet.com> wrote:
[snip]

> > > oddly the fastest office suite is microsoft office,
> > > partically if you can find a older version 2nd hand?
> >
> > Claris Works is faster, if horribly obsolete.
>
> Do you mean 'obsolete' = doesn't do things that are needed
> or
> 'obsolete' = does all the things you need but the latest OS won't run
> it?

What I mean is:

Does what it says on the tin very well, but it won't run on a modern
Mac.

(CW has many good things going for it, but - werl, it can't replace
LaTeX and LaTeX's not really suitable for replacing CW for all that you
probably could use it for running a database and spreadsheet and even
for drawing if you were really dedicated and suitably perverse. Look,
someone wrote a flippin' Basic interpreter using TeX, I ask you!)

> I would agree with the latter - it is a perfectly good app which has
> been killed-off by fashion.

Yup. I much prefer Claris Works 4 to AppleWorks 6 - or iWork for that
matter.

Because CW (any version) needs Classic, I've been using AppleWorks
instead - the only remaining regular use to which I put it is running a
database to keep track of my music discs. For insurance purposes, I
generate a PDF file from that database using LaTeX.

Why LaTeX? 'cos that way, when I print the thing out, it takes about
1/4 of the paper that printing straight from AppleWorks churns out, and
it's a damned sight easier to read too.

(Procedure: Save As `Text', give the result the magic name, slap it in
*that* folder, and run LaTeX on the special `Typeset my record database,
please' file that I contrived some years ago. Then run LaTeX twice
again to get the cross-references right. Twice again? Yeah, 'cos once
the actual *real* cross-references have gone in, sometimes the
pagination changes, what with the dummy page numbers not necessarily
being the same length as the real ones, IYSWIM.

Once upon a time, this was a bit of a pain 'cos it took so bloody long
to run LaTeX on a big file. My MSc disseration took 40 minutes to
typeset start to finish, running on a Mac Classic. The day I submitted
the thing, it took rather longer, 'cos I'd been up all night and was
fitting in some tea and a bath around the typesetting. Hey, just 'cos
the machine's busy doesn't mean I have to sit in front of it, right?

But these days - well, never mind CPU advances: one of the old problems
was that Mac TeX distros used a slow method of pushing text on to the
screen, which slowed things down a lot. One of the recent MacTeX
releases unbunged that bottleneck and TeX now runs at the sort of speed
you'd hope.)

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Adrian Tuddenham on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> ... Look,
> someone wrote a flippin' Basic interpreter using TeX, I ask you!)

I've written a spreadsheet for enciphering/deciphering text in CW. Not
quite in the same league, but very interesting.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk