From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Thanks William for all the information.

You are welcome, and I wish you the best of luck in your upgrade.

> ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB card from Gigabyte, with OpenGL
> 2.1 and DirectX 10.1 for about $72, only about $25 more than
> a 512MB card.  Should be here tomorrow.

It's amazing what you can get these days, even for an older system.
The way they do this is through an "AGP to PCI Express" bridge chip.
PCI Express to PCI versions exist as well...I recently put a fancy-
pants nVidia board with 1GB worth of video memory in a Compaq Deskpro
EN SFF box when the onboard video failed.

It worked perfectly and showed no signs of causing problems with the
PSU.

> The power connector and PS had me a bit worried

I wouldn't worry about it too much. At one time, Dell was using very
good power supplies in their equipment (they still do, for the
OptiPlex systems). Your system should be just fine.

> The ATi drivers and CCC are another story, and I will post back
> with my results, or come begging for help!  Thanks again, Pat

CCC requires the .NET Framework to be installed, which you may or may
not already have. If you do, update it to the latest 3.5 release and
install all patches. If you don't, ATI offers a download that consists
only of the core drivers that you need to use the card, and this does
not require .NET.

In fact, you should almost certainly download the latest drivers from
the ATI web site. If you can, do that before you install the card, so
they will be handy. That way you will have the latest and greatest
drivers with the newest bug fixes in place.

William
From: Pat Conover on
"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi!

> Thanks William for all the information.

You are welcome, and I wish you the best of luck in your upgrade.

> ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB card from Gigabyte, with OpenGL
> 2.1 and DirectX 10.1 for about $72, only about $25 more than
> a 512MB card. Should be here tomorrow.

It's amazing what you can get these days, even for an older system.
The way they do this is through an "AGP to PCI Express" bridge chip.
PCI Express to PCI versions exist as well...I recently put a fancy-
pants nVidia board with 1GB worth of video memory in a Compaq Deskpro
EN SFF box when the onboard video failed.

It worked perfectly and showed no signs of causing problems with the
PSU.

> The power connector and PS had me a bit worried

I wouldn't worry about it too much. At one time, Dell was using very
good power supplies in their equipment (they still do, for the
OptiPlex systems). Your system should be just fine.

> The ATi drivers and CCC are another story, and I will post back
> with my results, or come begging for help! Thanks again, Pat

CCC requires the .NET Framework to be installed, which you may or may
not already have. If you do, update it to the latest 3.5 release and
install all patches. If you don't, ATI offers a download that consists
only of the core drivers that you need to use the card, and this does
not require .NET.

In fact, you should almost certainly download the latest drivers from
the ATI web site. If you can, do that before you install the card, so
they will be handy. That way you will have the latest and greatest
drivers with the newest bug fixes in place.

William

William, I learn more here with every visit. Well the card arrived today
from Newegg, very fast from their NJ warehouse to SNJ. Of course the DVI to
VGA adapter was not in the box, just the card, manual, and driver cd.
Gigabyte also apparently got tired of including the 6-pin Y adapter to power
the card from two 4-pin power plugs, and now there is just one 4-pin plug on
the card. But, they mounted it on the top of the card and if your case is a
bit tight, it won't close. Poor design to be sure. Looks like I have
enough room though. The Fan appears very well built, but extra large and
takes up the adjoining PCI slot. Lucky for me nothing in the adjacent slot,
I left that one open for cooling the old video card ;-) Plus this old puter
has lots, and lots of expansion slots, they don't make em like that anymore.

Everyone seems to have problems with CCC, but I think most don't have .Net
installed, as you suggested, which is needed for CCC to work right. I have
..Net 3.5 SP1 installed, but always get the .Net 1.xx won't install on
Windows Updates. Everything seems to work fine, so I never did the arduous
task of uninstalling all .Net versions, and reinstalling all .Net versions
again starting with version 1 and working my way up to 3.5. M$ sure got
this .Net stuff all screwed up!

I have searched for updated drivers, been there and done that before. Some
say to use the Gigabyte drivers since they are the card maker and others say
to use ATI's latest drivers. I have one AGP hotfix
(10-6_agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc.exe), and CCC drivers
(10-6_xp32_dd_ccc_enu.exe) both direct from ATI. I also have the Gigabyte
drivers (vga_driver_ati_xp_8.66.exe) downloaded. Interestingly, the drivers
on the CD say Version 2.0 display drivers for XP/Vista/Windows 7, so maybe
the Win7 sticker means these are the latest and greatest. One review on
newegg said to install the AGP hot fix first, then the drivers. Not sure at
this point which ones to use or install first. Any suggestions from the
group?

Anyway, I need to get some work done on this old machine and probably won't
tackle this potential fiasco until the weekend. Any suggestions on the
correct drivers or order of installation would be Greatly Appreciated! Now
to find my Dell LCD DVI cord.
Thanks again, Pat

From: powrwrap on
> On Jul 4, 9:55 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:

> Memory upgrades remain the most cost-effective way to improve speed of a
> computer.  How much faster?  It depends on your work habits and the
> software you use.

> Your mileage from a memory upgrade may vary, but you will not be
> disappointed.  as others suggest, a cleanup with CCleaner and a defrag
> with Defraggler (better than Windows defrag) will help too... Ben Myers

Update. I've had the 1 GB stick installed for about a week now and
yes, there is a difference. Total memory is now 1.5 GB. If I had to
put a number on it, I'd say it is almost twice as fast as before. I
don't see the busy hourglass so much anymore. Switching between
applications is much better. Working with photographs is faster. I
haven't tried any video conversions yet, so can't comment on that but
I figure that is more dependent on the CPU than memory. Even web
browsing is faster. I'm not yelling "C'MON! What are you DOING!"
anymore. LOL. It was a nice, cheap upgrade.

From: Ben Myers on
On 7/20/2010 10:35 AM, powrwrap wrote:
>> On Jul 4, 9:55 pm, Ben Myers<ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>
>> Memory upgrades remain the most cost-effective way to improve speed of a
>> computer. How much faster? It depends on your work habits and the
>> software you use.
>
>> Your mileage from a memory upgrade may vary, but you will not be
>> disappointed. as others suggest, a cleanup with CCleaner and a defrag
>> with Defraggler (better than Windows defrag) will help too... Ben Myers
>
> Update. I've had the 1 GB stick installed for about a week now and
> yes, there is a difference. Total memory is now 1.5 GB. If I had to
> put a number on it, I'd say it is almost twice as fast as before. I
> don't see the busy hourglass so much anymore. Switching between
> applications is much better. Working with photographs is faster. I
> haven't tried any video conversions yet, so can't comment on that but
> I figure that is more dependent on the CPU than memory. Even web
> browsing is faster. I'm not yelling "C'MON! What are you DOING!"
> anymore. LOL. It was a nice, cheap upgrade.

Excellent! Glad you are satisfied. I sell a lot of memory upgrades to
people locally... Ben
From: Bob Villa on
On Jul 4, 9:37 am, "Pat Conover" <pub...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> Well, I know I shouldn't have, but I went ahead and upgraded my old trusty
> Dimension 4550 with a 2.4 GHz P4 processor and 533MHz bus from 768MB of RAM
> to 2GB of RAM.  Dell said it would only take 1GB, and that upgrade was not
> worth the effort.  But I was on the Crucial site the other day, and ran the
> memory advisor program that said it would take up to 2GB of memory.  So $100
> and two 1GB sticks of DDR PC3200 memory later, this old workhorse is running
> like a new machine!  Based on the recommendations in this group, I have also
> been running Defraggler, and CCleaner, which also helps pep things up.  I
> also run Lars Headerer's (SP?) ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility for NT) aka
> system restore for adults, and NTREGOPT (NT Registry Optimizer) defrag for
> the registry.  Lean and mean programs, that I highly recommend for your
> toolkit.  Google ERUNT to go to Lars home page.
>
> Anyway on to my question, I am now running a lowly 64MB NVidia MX420 AGP
> video card, and one program that I would like to rum as a local copy won't
> install with that card.  Nice enough to tell me, before I installed the
> program and had random lockups, etc.  The specific requirements that my card
> doesn't meet are:
>
> "24-bit capable graphics accelerator An OpenGL 2.0 or higher compliant video
> card is required, with at least 32 MB of video memory, however 256 MB of
> video memory or higher is recommended."
>
> So what AGP video card would you recommend based on the above.  I think my
> AGP port is only 2X or something like that and not 4X.
>
> Thanks, Pat

If anyone is going to upgrade memory on their old box...this may be
the time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146545&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL080510&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL080510-_-EMC-080510-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20146545-L07D

I can't (the wife sees all the bills!) *L*

bob
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: change cpu