From: AP on
On Jan 28, 9:01 pm, "J.B. Moreno" <pl...(a)newsreaders.com> wrote:

> > As with most things, there are always ways of circumventing the
> > author's intention. The idea is to discourage such activity e.g. by
> > making it difficult, disadvantageous, or costly.
>
> And the short answer seems to be "no".

There are ways to deter electronic copying - see above. It's not fool-
proof of course. That's why I'm asking if anyone knows of a better
way. A "no" answer is less than what I already know.

> BTW -- almost no copying of static content (such as books and pictures)
> is done via screen capture, it's almost exclusively done via scanning
> of hardcopies (quicker, easier, and better resolution).

I suppose technically it is possible to scan a computer screen. Might
be a bit difficult for most people.

> I don't know what you're worried about being copied, but odds are that
> you should be worrying about something else instead.

I understand my business needs and I see illegal copying, especially
by parties in places like China and the like, as a threat.

From: J.B. Moreno on
AP <tianung(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 9:01�pm, "J.B. Moreno" <pl...(a)newsreaders.com> wrote:
> >
> > > As with most things, there are always ways of circumventing the
> > > author's intention. The idea is to discourage such activity e.g. by
> > > making it difficult, disadvantageous, or costly.
> >
> > And the short answer seems to be "no".
>
> There are ways to deter electronic copying - see above. It's not fool-
> proof of course. That's why I'm asking if anyone knows of a better
> way. A "no" answer is less than what I already know.

Apparently not, or you wouldn't be asking the question. There are
hardware cards that go straight to VHS.

> > BTW -- almost no copying of static content (such as books and pictures)
> > is done via screen capture, it's almost exclusively done via scanning
> > of hardcopies (quicker, easier, and better resolution).
>
> I suppose technically it is possible to scan a computer screen. Might
> be a bit difficult for most people.

Not really, and even if it was almost impossible, you are simply hoping
that nobody with the knowledge is willing to do so.

Besides, you missed my point -- most products that aren't software are
destined for paper, if your products fall into that category, don't
worry about people hacking your electronic copy as they will instead
scan the hardcopy.

> > I don't know what you're worried about being copied, but odds are that
> > you should be worrying about something else instead.
>
> I understand my business needs and I see illegal copying, especially
> by parties in places like China and the like, as a threat.

Because they buy so much of it when they can't get a pirated copy?

--
J.B. Moreno
From: AP on
On Jan 30, 5:13 pm, "J.B. Moreno" <pl...(a)newsreaders.com> wrote:

> > I suppose technically it is possible to scan a computer screen. Might
> > be a bit difficult for most people.
>
> Not really, and even if it was almost impossible, you are simply hoping
> that nobody with the knowledge is willing to do so.

Just say anything to just to have the last word ...

> Besides, you missed my point -- most products that aren't software are
> destined for paper, if your products fall into that category, don't
> worry about people hacking your electronic copy as they will instead
> scan the hardcopy.

You clearly haven't read my original post. Where did I say I had a
hardcopy ?

> > I understand my business needs and I see illegal copying, especially
> > by parties in places like China and the like, as a threat.
>
> Because they buy so much of it when they can't get a pirated copy?

Clearly this area of the commercial world illudes you. Enough said.