From: foxtrot048 on
Win XP Home ed., Firefox, PC Security Shield.

There is hard drive activity during times when I am not doing any work
or browsing on my computer. I see the light on the front of the
computer flicker and can hear slight noises from the hard drive. I run
Process Explorer and can see some activity, but don't understand what I
am seeing.

Here is a copy of Process Explorer. It may not line up just right since
I saved it to notepad and then copied and pasted to this message. DPCs
and Services.exe have some activity.

Process PID CPU Description Company Name
System Idle Process 0 97.69
Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts
DPCs n/a 0.77 Deferred Procedure Calls
System 4
smss.exe 716 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe 828 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
winlogon.exe 852 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation
services.exe 896 0.77 Services and Controller app Microsoft
Corporation
svchost.exe 1084 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1144 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1260 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1448 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Microsoft Corporation
spoolsv.exe 1628 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe 2032 Apple Mobile Device Service
Apple, Inc.
arservice.exe 2044 ARSVC Application Microsoft
avp.exe 224 The Shield Deluxe 2008 PCSecurityShield
cmdagent.exe 248 Comodo Agent Service COMODO
ehrecvr.exe 300 Media Center Receiver Service Microsoft Corporation
ehSched.exe 380 Media Center Scheduler Service Microsoft Corporation
nvsvc32.exe 504 NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 81.97
NVIDIA Corporation
PRISMXL.SYS 552 PrismXL Service New Boundary Technologies, Inc.
svchost.exe 756 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft
Corporation
svchost.exe 980 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft
Corporation
mcrdsvc.exe 1396 MCRD Device Service Microsoft Corporation
dllhost.exe 2064 COM Surrogate Microsoft Corporation
alg.exe 2456 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation
lsass.exe 908 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe 752 0.77 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
winlogon.exe 3168 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation
explorer.exe 1936 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation
OneTouchMon.exe 1468 OneTouch Module Visioneer Inc
avp.exe 1680 The Shield Deluxe 2008 PCSecurityShield
cpf.exe 1420 COMODO Firewall Pro COMODO
ctfmon.exe 1708 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation
msmsgs.exe 1268 Windows Messenger Microsoft Corporation
explorer.exe 1040 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation
OneTouchMon.exe 1172 OneTouch Module Visioneer Inc
avp.exe 3348 The Shield Deluxe 2008 PCSecurityShield
cpf.exe 2616 COMODO Firewall Pro COMODO
ctfmon.exe 4000 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation
procexp.exe 2068 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals
From: DanG on
Do you have the Indexing Service enabled?

From: foxtrot048 on
Yes, it is already disabled.