From: simjambra on

Hello!

I'm trying to display different phases of a single task on one line in
Project 2007.

There are over 40 individual tasks on the Gantt chart I am using and
each of these will contain separate phases. I would like to represent
these phases as bars in a different colour so it's easy to pick out the
length of each distinct section of the task (e.g. Planning, Approval,
Implementation). Is it possible to do this?

Thanks for your help in advance

--
simjambra
simjambra's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/130906.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
You would have to break the task into four subtasks, add dependencies, modify
the bar styles, then use the rollup options to roll the subtasks to the summary.

Check out the help screen for the Rollup field.

For Bar Styles, you'd probably need to create four flag fields (Planning,
Approval, Implementation, etc.) and then flag each subtask as to which code
it is. Then doublelick on the Gantt Chart, and play with creating multiple
bar styles based off of each of the flag fields. I'd have to play with it
to figure out how to get the colors to roll up correctly, but it should be
doable.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: simjambra on

I will give this a go. Many thanks for your response.

From: John on
In article <c4abab72322448ccb66b7cd6af1b(a)msnews.microsoft.com>,
Andrew Lavinsky <(Catapult Systems)> wrote:

> You would have to break the task into four subtasks, add dependencies, modify
> the bar styles, then use the rollup options to roll the subtasks to the
> summary.
>
> Check out the help screen for the Rollup field.
>
> For Bar Styles, you'd probably need to create four flag fields (Planning,
> Approval, Implementation, etc.) and then flag each subtask as to which code
> it is. Then doublelick on the Gantt Chart, and play with creating multiple
> bar styles based off of each of the flag fields. I'd have to play with it
> to figure out how to get the colors to roll up correctly, but it should be
> doable.
>
> - Andrew Lavinsky
Andrew,
This exact same question was asked by "Richard", (I suspect he is
"simjambra"), on Tuesday of this week. I answered the question then.

John
Project MVP

From: simjambra on

Hi there... Richard is actually my colleague who asked me the question
and I couldn't answer so I put it on here. Very embarrassed that he's
already gone down that route.

Sincere apologies for the re-post!

I'll try a few more searches next time but I do appreciate the responses
so thanks anyway.