From: VanguardLH on

www.7-zip.com
From: philo on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Jackson wrote:
>> I hope this isn't too off-topic. I have XP media center and
>> also XP home. Will these include a application to
>> decompress files with the extention GZ. I know Winzip
>> doesn't work.
>
> philo wrote:
>> http://www.7zipdownload.com/
>
> JD wrote:
>> The download link points to preview.licenseacquisition.org which
>> is blocked by my mvps HOSTS file. It looks like a nice program. Oh
>> well.
>
> Jackson wrote:
>> I hope this isn't too off-topic. I have XP media center and
>> also XP home. Will these include a application to
>> decompress files with the extention GZ. I know Winzip
>> doesn't work.
>
> philo wrote:
>> just put 7zip into a Google search
>> you will get a ton of hits
>>
>> I am sure not all of them will be blocked
>

> Or - someone could wisely give you the actual web page for the
> application...
>
> http://7-zip.org/
>
> Would work much better.

You should have checked first

that page redirects to Sourceforge

that's why I left the research to the OP

as I have know idea what he's blocking
From: Peter Foldes on
philo

That page does not re-direct here at all

--
Peter

From: philo on
Peter Foldes wrote:
> philo
>
> That page does not re-direct here at all

Guess I was not clear

the page indeed does not re-direct

but when one goes to download the application

it redirects to Sourceforge

I am sure the OP can figure out how to do a Google search

I was just leading him to a decent application
From: Twayne on
In news:eaJqcV0iKHA.2132(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
JD <JD(a)example.invalid> typed:
> philo wrote:
>> Jackson wrote:
>>> I hope this isn't too off-topic. I have XP media center and
>>> also XP home. Will these include a application to
>>> decompress files with the extention GZ. I know Winzip
>>> doesn't work.
>>>

>>> Thanks.
>>> Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL
>>

>> http://www.7zipdownload.com/
>
> The download link points to preview.licenseacquisition.org which is
> blocked by my mvps HOSTS file. It looks like a nice program. Oh well.

It sounds a little like your HOSTS file has been hosed or some malware is
floating around somewhere else because that link takes me right to their
Download page. If 7zip is in your HOSTS file it shouldn't be, and it
shouldn't be redirecting to the .org you indicated. Check that all entries
have the 1270.0.01 in the left column if you think it was your hosts file.

Or:
Winzip will unzip it .GZ: TAR, Z, GZ, TAZ, and TGZ
Try the free version. It can't create those though: unzip only so far. I
don't know about 7zip.

Twayne

Cats land on their feet.
but Toast lands PB side down;