From: Twayne on
In news:hhnsln$gan$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
philo <philo(a)privacy.invalid> typed:
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> philo
>>
>> That page does not re-direct here at all
>>

> Guess I was not clear
>
> the page indeed does not re-direct
>
> but when one goes to download the application
>
> it redirects to Sourceforge

Strange things going on: From here that link goes directly to:
http://www.7zipdownload.com/
and when you clck the download button it immediately offers the Save or Run
dialog for 7zip.exe.
There is no SourceForge involvement at all.
But even if there was, it would only mean it's one of their projects;
they're reputable and have a gazillion project in process.

> I am sure the OP can figure out how to do a Google search

I agree with that, but ... whatever is happening to him should be figured
out. It doesn't make sense to me that an MVP would write that into a HOSTS
download so I'm suspecting another source IFF it's really the HOSTS file.
Regardless, something isn't right and should be repaired; what other
problems are there that aren't recognized yet?

Twayne

> I was just leading him to a decent application

Cats land on their feet.
but Toast lands PB side down;
A cat glued to some jelly toast will
hover in quantum indecision forever.

From: philo on
Twayne wrote:
> In news:hhnsln$gan$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> philo <philo(a)privacy.invalid> typed:
>> Peter Foldes wrote:
>>> philo
>>>
>>> That page does not re-direct here at all
>>>

>> Guess I was not clear
>>
>> the page indeed does not re-direct
>>
>> but when one goes to download the application
>>
>> it redirects to Sourceforge
>
> Strange things going on: From here that link goes directly to:
> http://www.7zipdownload.com/
> and when you clck the download button it immediately offers the Save or
> Run dialog for 7zip.exe.
> There is no SourceForge involvement at all.
> But even if there was, it would only mean it's one of their projects;
> they're reputable and have a gazillion project in process.
>>

>> I am sure the OP can figure out how to do a Google search
>
> I agree with that, but ... whatever is happening to him should be
> figured out. It doesn't make sense to me that an MVP would write that
> into a HOSTS download so I'm suspecting another source IFF it's really
> the HOSTS file. Regardless, something isn't right and should be
> repaired; what other problems are there that aren't recognized yet?
>
> Twayne
>

>> I was just leading him to a decent application

Well on my end, the few links I tried all lead to legitimate sources.

Truth is I had never even heard of an MVPS Host file until now...
so Googled it

It looks like the MVP's have written a HOSTS file that excludes sources
that will leave an "ad.doubleclick.net" cookie (and the like)

but heck...that turns up everywhere...is simply an easily to delete cookie

OTOH: If their HOSTS files can prevent a hijacker from loading...I
suppose it's got it's point
From: JD on
Twayne wrote:
> In news:eaJqcV0iKHA.2132(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
> JD <JD(a)example.invalid> typed:
>> philo wrote:

>>> http://www.7zipdownload.com/
>>
>> The download link points to preview.licenseacquisition.org which is
>> blocked by my mvps HOSTS file. It looks like a nice program. Oh well.
>
> It sounds a little like your HOSTS file has been hosed or some malware
> is floating around somewhere else because that link takes me right to
> their Download page. If 7zip is in your HOSTS file it shouldn't be, and
> it shouldn't be redirecting to the .org you indicated. Check that all
> entries have the 1270.0.01 in the left column if you think it was your
> hosts file.
>
> Or:
> Winzip will unzip it .GZ: TAR, Z, GZ, TAZ, and TGZ
> Try the free version. It can't create those though: unzip only so far. I
> don't know about 7zip.
>
> Twayne

I grow weary of your replies. Read my post again. The download link
points to preview.licenseacquisition.org which is blocked by my mvps
HOSTS file.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/licenseacquisition.org

Read that now. Go down a little ways and read some replies.

"Detected as a dangerous site, at http://www.malwaredomainlist.com
Sites listed are malware distributors, and this was one of them.
Examples of site categories include:
Virus or trojans Mebroot, Zeus, Zeus/wsnpoem, rustock, zlob, and fake
antivirus, browser exploits, fake online scanner, fraudulent payment
system, money mule recruitment, trojan downloader
You can find more information on this site by using the Search at
http://www.malwaredomainlist.com"

Lean to pay more attention to what is written and/or stop replying when
you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Do you use the MVPS HOSTS file? Look through it,
preview.licenseacquisition.org is in there.

This is the last time I will reply to you regarding this matter.

--
JD..
From: JD on
philo wrote:
> Twayne wrote:
>> In news:hhnsln$gan$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> philo <philo(a)privacy.invalid> typed:

>>> Guess I was not clear
>>>
>>> the page indeed does not re-direct
>>>
>>> but when one goes to download the application
>>>
>>> it redirects to Sourceforge
>>
>> Strange things going on: From here that link goes directly to:
>> http://www.7zipdownload.com/
>> and when you clck the download button it immediately offers the Save
>> or Run dialog for 7zip.exe.
>> There is no SourceForge involvement at all.
>> But even if there was, it would only mean it's one of their projects;
>> they're reputable and have a gazillion project in process.
>>>

>>> I am sure the OP can figure out how to do a Google search
>>
>> I agree with that, but ... whatever is happening to him should be
>> figured out. It doesn't make sense to me that an MVP would write that
>> into a HOSTS download so I'm suspecting another source IFF it's really
>> the HOSTS file. Regardless, something isn't right and should be
>> repaired; what other problems are there that aren't recognized yet?
>>
>> Twayne
>>

>>> I was just leading him to a decent application
>>

> Well on my end, the few links I tried all lead to legitimate sources.
>
> Truth is I had never even heard of an MVPS Host file until now...
> so Googled it
>
> It looks like the MVP's have written a HOSTS file that excludes sources
> that will leave an "ad.doubleclick.net" cookie (and the like)
>
> but heck...that turns up everywhere...is simply an easily to delete cookie
>
> OTOH: If their HOSTS files can prevent a hijacker from loading...I
> suppose it's got it's point

HOSTS file a a good thing.

preview.licenseacquisition.org is in the mvps HOSTS file.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/licenseacquisition.org

Go down a little on that page:

"Detected as a dangerous site, at http://www.malwaredomainlist.com
Sites listed are malware distributors, and this was one of them.
Examples of site categories include:
Virus or trojans Mebroot, Zeus, Zeus/wsnpoem, rustock, zlob, and fake
antivirus, browser exploits, fake online scanner, fraudulent payment
system, money mule recruitment, trojan downloader
You can find more information on this site by using the Search at
http://www.malwaredomainlist.com"

It's nothing you did. You posted a link to a program that does look very
good. Shehan Stanley posted a link http://7-zip.org/ that goes to
sourceforge.net for the download. Problem solved.

You have to take Twayne with a few grains of salt.

--
JD..
From: Shenan Stanley on
JD wrote:
<snipped>
> It's nothing you did. You posted a link to a program that does look
> very good. Shehan Stanley posted a link http://7-zip.org/ that
> goes to sourceforge.net for the download. Problem solved.
<snipped>

Spell-check and my name? *grin*

Does your spell checker have an option to ignore words starting with
uppercase? ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP