From: JD on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> JD wrote:
> <snipped>
>> It's nothing you did. You posted a link to a program that does look
>> very good. Shehan Stanley posted a link http://7-zip.org/ that
>> goes to sourceforge.net for the download. Problem solved.
> <snipped>
>
> Spell-check and my name? *grin*
>
> Does your spell checker have an option to ignore words starting with
> uppercase? ;-)

Sorry. I stand corrected. Shenan Stanley. And my smell checker bounces
Shenan anyway. Shenan has been added. 8-)

--
JD..
From: Hot-text on
Universal Extractor is a program do to exactly what it says: extract files
from any type of archive, whether it's a simple zip file, an installation
program, or even a Windows Installer (.msi) package. This is still a work
in progress (see details below), but so far it's proven quite useful and I
feel others can also benefit from it.

http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

http://www.msfn.org/board/universal-extractor-latest-version-1-6-t124567.html

From: Twayne on
In news:hho22k$v3q$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
philo <philo(a)privacy.invalid> typed:
> Twayne wrote:
>> In news:hhnsln$gan$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> philo <philo(a)privacy.invalid> typed:

>>> Guess I was not clear
>>>
>>> the page indeed does not re-direct
>>>
>>> but when one goes to download the application
>>>
>>> it redirects to Sourceforge
>>
>> Strange things going on: From here that link goes directly to:
>> http://www.7zipdownload.com/
>> and when you clck the download button it immediately offers the Save
>> or Run dialog for 7zip.exe.
>> There is no SourceForge involvement at all.
>> But even if there was, it would only mean it's one of their
>> projects; they're reputable and have a gazillion project in process.
>>>

>>> I am sure the OP can figure out how to do a Google search
>>
>> I agree with that, but ... whatever is happening to him should be
>> figured out. It doesn't make sense to me that an MVP would write that
>> into a HOSTS download so I'm suspecting another source IFF it's
>> really the HOSTS file. Regardless, something isn't right and should
>> be repaired; what other problems are there that aren't recognized
>> yet? Twayne
>>

>>> I was just leading him to a decent application
>>

> Well on my end, the few links I tried all lead to legitimate sources.
>
> Truth is I had never even heard of an MVPS Host file until now...
> so Googled it
>
> It looks like the MVP's have written a HOSTS file that excludes
> sources that will leave an "ad.doubleclick.net" cookie (and the like)
>
> but heck...that turns up everywhere...is simply an easily to delete
> cookie
> OTOH: If their HOSTS files can prevent a hijacker from loading...I
> suppose it's got it's point

The MVP HOSTS files aren't perfect sometimes and occasionally they might
need to be tweaked for a few users but in general they're pretty good and
definitely a step ahead of the game for the bad boys.
I didn't realize doubleclick wasn't there though; maybe because it's not
a literal site that you can surf to. Interesting but not damning IMO.

Twayne

Often you'll find excellent advice on a newsgroup.
Before you use that advice though, consider the
ramifications of it being wrong or even dangerous;
how important IS that to you?
ALWAYS verify and confirm ANY advice from a
newsgroup!