From: ITguy on
> The one problem we've have is with patching.  The only document we've
> been able to find that documents the patching process for Sun Cluster
> with HA-Zones does everything in single user mode with SC disabled.
> We have a small 2 node Test cluster (test for our use, not user
> testing), that we've been playing with to develop a procedure to patch
> SC with HA-Zones using LiveUpgrade.  We're almost have all the steps
> worked out, but we've had very little luck working with Oracle/Sun to
> get them to say of this will be a supported procedure or not.

Patching clustered zones does suck. I don't know of a way to do it
without significant down time for the zones.

> If you are using Sun Cluster with HA-Zones, what procedures do you
> follow to patch your nodes/zones?

Would you mind sharing your general procedure? My thought would be
something like:
1) Fail-over HA zone(s) to node "a"
2) Patch node "b" and rejoin cluster
3) Force HA zone(s) into detached state on server "b" by changing
"installed" to "configured" in /etc/zones/index
4) Disable HA zone resource(s) - service outage begins
5) Fail HA resource groups to node "b" - HA zone(s) still disabled
6) Attach HA zones on node "b" with "-u" option to patch zones
7) Enable HA zone resource(s) - end service outage (hopefully!)
8) Patch node "a" and rejoin cluster

Thoughts?
From: FatAnt on
Tom wrote:
> If you are using Sun Cluster with HA-Zones, what procedures do you
> follow to patch your nodes/zones?

I do not recommend to use liveupgrade.

I'm agree with ITguy...

Note for the node must be patched (node A):

- disable all resource and devices group for the disks attached to zones
- clnode evacuate A
- node A: boot -sx
- all zones on node A are disabled (the patching procedure that deals with
turn on the zones)
- the disk group (for zones) must be imported on the node A (es. with
veritas VM)
- patching...

- reboot A. now A is in cluster

- IMPORTANT: detach any ha-zone on node B
- clnode evacuate B
- node B: boot -sx
- patching...

NOTE: and of course detach one of two/three mirror disks in case you need
to use the patching rollback

I suggest you to see in the document "Sun Cluster Upgrade Guide for Solaris
OS" the procedure "Performing a Rolling Upgrade "

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-7357

PS: I'm sorry for my terrible english, I hope to have been sufficiently
understood :-)
From: Tom on
On Jul 27, 11:10 pm, ITguy <southa...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > The one problem we've have is with patching.  The only document we've
> > been able to find that documents the patching process for Sun Cluster
> > with HA-Zones does everything in single user mode with SC disabled.
> > We have a small 2 node Test cluster (test for our use, not user
> > testing), that we've been playing with to develop a procedure to patch
> > SC with HA-Zones using LiveUpgrade.  We're almost have all the steps
> > worked out, but we've had very little luck working with Oracle/Sun to
> > get them to say of this will be a supported procedure or not.
>
> Patching clustered zones does suck.  I don't know of a way to do it
> without significant down time for the zones.
>
> > If you are using Sun Cluster with HA-Zones, what procedures do you
> > follow to patch your nodes/zones?
>
> Would you mind sharing your general procedure?  My thought would be
> something like:
>   1) Fail-over HA zone(s) to node "a"
>   2) Patch node "b" and rejoin cluster
>   3) Force HA zone(s) into detached state on server "b" by changing
> "installed" to "configured" in /etc/zones/index
>   4) Disable HA zone resource(s) - service outage begins
>   5) Fail HA resource groups to node "b" - HA zone(s) still disabled
>   6) Attach HA zones on node "b" with "-u" option to patch zones
>   7) Enable HA zone resource(s) - end service outage (hopefully!)
>   8) Patch node "a" and rejoin cluster
>
> Thoughts?

Take a look at "http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2971/6n57mi2g0".
It works well, except for all of the downtime when patching the HA-
Zones.
From: Tom on

I have no problem with using LiveUpgrade (This would prevent
significant downtime for patching the HA-Zones, and gives you a back
out option that you otherwise don't have). The problem I do have is
the lack of information from Oracle/Sun on either:

1) the Best Practice procedure for using LiveUpgrade with HA-Zones.
If LiveUpgrade is a viable option to patching Sun Cluster with HA-
Zones, it would be nice to be told the correct steps to use in order
to be fully supported.

or

2) a warning to not use LiveUpgrade with HA-Zones. If LiveUpgrade is
unsafe, and shouldn't be used, it would be nice to know that as well.

By the way, your English is very good.

On Jul 28, 7:25 am, FatAnt <fat...(a)blackhole.null> wrote:
> Tom wrote:
> > If you are using Sun Cluster with HA-Zones, what procedures do you
> > follow to patch your nodes/zones?
>
> I do not recommend to use liveupgrade.

Why?? This prevents significant downtime for patching the HA-Zones,
and gives you backout options that you otherwise don't have? I have
no problem with using LiveUpgrade. It isn't LiveUpgrade I have a
problem with, but the lack of information from Oracle/Sun on the Best
Practice procedure for using LiveUpgrade with HA-Zones, or a warning

From: Tom on