From: FatAnt on
Tom wrote:

> I have no problem with using LiveUpgrade (This would prevent significant
> downtime

I agree, with LiveUpgrade you are some options but with this procedure you
use "wrapper commands" for patchnig and sometime you may have bad
surprises.
LiveUpgrade was always good to upgrade the operating system and I never
had problems but I happened to have trouble for ABE patching (Alternate
Boot Environment).

Despite the command options were correct and also the paths were correct:
# luupgrade -t -n "ABE_NAME" -s FULL_PATH/patches -O "-M FULL_PATH/patches
patch_order"

I happened that instead to patch the ABE (mounted on /a) has been patched
the current boot environment?!?! ...and the output of the procedure did
not indicate any error!

Unfortunately I could not replicate the problem in the laboratory to try
to fix or to open an alert.
Certainly it was my mistake (I hope) but I never understood what
error...and this thing has me terrified!!!!

In short if I'm not forced to use LiveUpgrade (for cluster patching) I
prefer to use other alternatives for highly sensitive operations such as
this.

> I have a problem with, but the lack of information from Oracle/Sun on
the Best
> Practice procedure for using LiveUpgrade with HA-Zones, or a warning
> to not use LiveUpgrade with HA-Zones.

yes, Sun-Oracle's documentation is often messy and contradictory :-(

Someone should create a website where all of us can send the complete
procedures performed. A repository where they are listed: versions,
commands, options, execution order, hardware and full output.
Description from initial situation to final situation.

> By the way, your English is very good.

thanks for the nice lie (and thanks google.translate) ;-) ....maybe now
you've changed your opinion heheh